Kid / Wizz Bang behavior upon disconnection from batteries

Started by mike cunningham, March 09, 2021, 01:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike cunningham

I had to completely disconnect my Kid from the system in order to perform some wiring reroutes and addition of two solar panels to my setup. At time of disconnect the batts were fully charged. I was seeing 100% soc. on both my dedicated Xantrex batt monitor and the Kid equipped with Wizz bang.

During Kid downtime I purposely ran the batteries down to about 90% SOC so I would be able to do a good recharge test run on the Kid + new panels.

When I reconnected the Kid all was well. New panels were cranking good power and according to my Xantrex battery monitor I was charging nicely via the Kid.

But I noted the Kid was still reading 100% SOC versus 90% on the Xantrex. This makes some sense because the Kid obviously could not track discharge current via the Wizz Bang when the Kid was disconnected.

But two questions

First, does the Kid save it's last SOC reading/state if/when it is powered off or disconnected from the system or does it just default to 100% SOC when reactivated from a full disconnect?

Second, I assume the SOC displayed on the Kid must automatically resync when full charge is reached? Does this happen when the unit enters float? Or am I completely out to lunch and need to take some specific resync action to align Kid displayed SOC with reality?

ClassicCrazy

I can speak to the Classic which may or not be the same as Kid.
The Classic remembers it's SOC . But it won't reset  again until it goes through another day where it can get drawn down some and then fill up to 100% .
The Classic goes to 100% at Float ( though I think there is option to have it do something otherwise ?)

Basically you are just going to have to let it cycle through to get reset.
The charging is not based off SOC so it will charge normally no matter what the SOC says .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Highflyer

Mike,

I have seen this a few times as I too have built, and rebuilt my setups.  I have noticed an incorrect SOC reading.  I have seen the system reset to the correct SOC after the system overnights.

I have also seen one of my Kids "lose" its way.  I needed to de-power that Kid to reset it back to normal operations.  I have seen this very rarely (like two times in several years).

By now, your system should have rest itself.   Let us know how it went.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing