I Have A GFP...Is A Grounding Rod Necessary?

Started by rs14smith, May 22, 2021, 04:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rs14smith

My Current Setup Details:
I am working with a Renogy 100 Watt 12v solar panel mounted to an aluminum mount, and the mount is attached to a wooden deck fence.

The solar panel is connected to a ProStar-15 charge controller (no GFP built-in). The charge controller is connected to a 12v 35Ah battery. I have a 12v 10A DC water transfer pump attached to the battery.

I will have Midnite DC breakers installed between the following:

• panels and charge controller
  • charge controller and battery
  • pump and battery

My Question:
I have purchased Midnite's GFP (MNDC-GFP63) and based on the simplicity of my system since I am only powering a DC pump with the solar system, I am having a hard time finding information if I also am required in TN to install a grounding rod for a setup like mine if I am using Midnite's GFP?

ClassicCrazy

I am not a solar designer but not sure you really need a ground fault protector for 12v because there isn't really any shock potential there.
I think of ground fault protection for voltages that are higher where you can get shocked - like when I bumped a hot 115v AC wire with my hand on one of temp experiment systems - I was glad the GFI was there since it tripped. But at 12v you can grab the positive and negative of a battery and you won't die  or get shocked.
If you start to wire PV panels in series  and get them to a higher voltage above 30v then you are getting into where it is not considered low voltage any longer and there is shock potential.
Otherwise you have your regular  breakers to protect your wires from too high of current which would make them get hot . So you put the breakers on for the size wire you have.
Something that might be more useful on your system is a surge protector ( Midnite has them ) which would help with voltage surges like from nearby lighting strikes. Then you want to have your system grounded for sure.
But I don't know if you are trying to meet some kind of code compliance.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable