Diversion load and resetting SOC via modbus

Started by unique3, March 22, 2021, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unique3

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the wiz-bang jr forum, please move if this is the wrong place.

Question since my post got long:
Does using the force Float (Writing 32 to register 4160) reset the SOC the same way that reaching float naturally does?
Alternatively is there a signal I can send via Modbus that will reset the SOC remotely?

Background why I am asking these questions:
I have a Classic 150 with wiz-bang Jr. Its been working great for over a year. I have a PLC I monitor it remotely with via modbus which allows me to do all kinds of things.

Recently I added a couple diversion loads. 2-2000w DC elements through a couple solid state relays that send a PWM signal from my PLC. 
The PLC reads the battery voltage every 40ms and adjusts the output to keep the voltage steady at the setpoint. I've increase the absorb and float set point in the classic by 1 volt and control my voltage with the PLC to the classic set point minus 1v. That way the batteries are still charged the to the same setpoint without the classic jumping in and out of absorb constantly and stays in MPPT all day long. If my diversion fails for some reason the battery is just overcharged a little since its only up 1 volt, like an unscheduled minor equalize.

The control of this has been working flawlessly for a couple weeks. My only outstanding issue is switching over to float because as far as the classic is concerned I never reach absorb. I've added logic to monitor the battery amps from the wizbang and I know when I need to switch to absorb. I thought I could solve it by just switching off my dump load for a couple minutes, let the classic hit absorb and switch to float on the end amps set point. This works however because my classic absorb voltage is 1 volt higher I've had to up my amps end set point quite a bit as the amps jump from the 1v increase, and I still have to wait for things to switch over. Worst case this isn't awful just seems messy. I figure there has to be a better way that is more elegant.

First and preferred option: I can use modbus to force the controller into float mode. I already have control from my PLC to force float, bulk and equalization. My concern with this is ...
Does using the force Float (Writing 32 to register 4160) reset the SOC the same way that reaching float naturally does?
Alternatively is there a signal I can send via Modbus that will reset the SOC remotely?

Thanks for the help. Any questions on my setup I also love to talk about it so feel free.