News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WBJ always at SOC: 100%

Started by idtwalt, April 20, 2021, 04:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idtwalt

I looked thru the forum for something on this but couldn't find.
I picked up one of the DC Solar Units recently and have been trying to learn my way around.
So glad I found this Forum.

From my MidNite Solar Status Panel:

I am seeing No changes here                 System: 0A   Net Ah: 0Ah
I am seeing changes here                      Remaining Ah: 539Ah
I am seeing No Changes here                 SOC:  100%

Where should I start to learn about these settings and why I'm not seeing any changes in the System Net Ah and the SOC:

thanks in advance

Vic

Quote from: idtwalt on April 20, 2021, 04:41:46 PM
I looked thru the forum for something on this but couldn't find.
I picked up one of the DC Solar Units recently and have been trying to learn my way around.
So glad I found this Forum.

From my MidNite Solar Status Panel:

I am seeing No changes here                 System: 0A   Net Ah: 0Ah
I am seeing changes here                      Remaining Ah: 539Ah
I am seeing No Changes here                 SOC:  100%

Where should I start to learn about these settings and why I'm not seeing any changes in the System Net Ah and the SOC:

thanks in advance

Hi idtwalt,   welcome to the Forum.

The DC Solar systems used a custom version on the MidNite Classic 250  --  the Classic 250 CP.   IIRC,  this special Classic did NOT have active Aux 1,  or Aux 2 functions.   The WhizBang Jr (WbJr)  needs the Aux 2 as a connection,  and the functions that the Aux 2 provides,  to be able to correctly report SOC,  Net Ah,  etc.

The SOC,  Net Ah etc readings need the WbJr Current measuring accessory to work properly,  but this accessory would be of no real use on the Cl 250 CP,  it would seem,   as the Aux 2 electronics are not present,  just the Aux terminal block.

Link to the WvJr Manual:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/10-264-1_REV_F.pdf

All,  IIRC.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

idtwalt

Thanks for the reply Vic.
It seems as if the WBjr is tracking Ah in and out thru the "Remaining Ah:538"
Taking into consideration your comment above, Can this number be trusted?
I'm concerned about over/under charging the batteries.

Solar status panel shows:
AUX 2: WHIZBANG JR (ON) (OFF)

Vic

OK idtwalt,

So,  let's back up a bit.

You have a DC Solar unit.  What exactly is included in this unit?

If you can run the Status Panel on a Windoze computer,  then,  perhaps your Classic might not the the 250 CP variety.

What is the Ah capacity of your battery?

Thanks for the additional info,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

idtwalt

Each Unit has two 510Ah GNB Type E. 48v  x2 SMA Sunny Island 6048 and x10 235

I've Set Battery Capacity at 510Ah eventho I have x2 for 1020 because I heard it best not to discharge beyond 50% to preserve battery life.

DC Solar MSG (mobile solar generator) with x2 GNB Flooded Classic Platinum industrial batteries 510 AH capacity 48 volt, (10) Talesun Solar Module Type: TP660P-235 235 watt solar panels, (2) SMA Sunny Island model 6048-US-10 single phase battery inverters, MidNite Solar Classic 250 charge controller, MidNite Solar MNGP Classic controller display, MidNite Solar Photovoltaic Combiner breaker box, Homeline Load Center breaker box, (4) 110 volt plug ins, (2) Hubbell 220 volt output plugs,

Vic

Hi Walt,   thanks for the added info.

So,  the MidNite Classic charge controllers (CCs),  are the Classic 250s that came with the other DC Solar equipment on the trailer,  correct?   If you can see the stickers on the Classic CCs,   it should say the exact model number.

The following statement about the DC Solar version of the Classic 250,  came from the MidNite Solar site,   some time ago,

"DC SOLAR AUCTION!!

It has come to our attention that there will be an auction featuring a large number of MidNite Classic 250 Charge Controllers. These, As the auction notes, are not standard Classic 250s. They were custom built for an OEM with specific design requirements. In order to reduce cost of these units, many parts and features that were non-essential to their application were removed from these controllers. Because these controllers were purchased as an OEM product and have now been transferred to a third party not associated with the OEM or MidNite Solar, they do not come with any warranty from Midnite Solar.

They DO NOT have multiple MNGP slots so they can not be used in Follow me.
They DO NOT have AUX 1 or 2 terminals so they can't be used with a WBJR or any AUX functions.
They do not have ARC Fault protection.
MNGP can not be programed for Voice.
None of these features can be added back to this board.

They DO HAVE an Ethernet Port so they can be used with MM2 and the Local App.
They can be updated normally using our normal Firmware via USB
They have Ground Fault Protection
BTS input jack is functioning

Thank You
MidNite Solar"

If you could check the model number of the Classics,  please,  and report,  Walt.

More later,   thanks again,  Vic