Charge Controllers,WBJr and Charge Guidelines

Started by schroew, March 29, 2021, 09:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schroew

I installed a WBJr last December and decided it's finally time to get serious about charging. Unfortunately, I got stumped out of the gate. The FullRiver charging doc provides guidelines for constant current or constant voltage. Which is a better choice for Classic 150s?

3 250AH 24 volt batteries on 3 classics

ClassicCrazy

When the Classic is in Absorb it is charging constant voltage - the current will change to hold the voltage at Absorb setpoint.
Not sure what kind of battery Full River is.
You set the Absorb voltage, and Absorb time , and Float voltage.
If you have a Whizbang you can also determine and set it to end absorb using Ending Amps.
Oh I just saw your link to specs - looking at that now.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

from your specs
lower end of Absorb Voltage range  is 29v
lower end of Float voltage range is 27 v
Temperature Compensation setting is -4 mv in Classic
I took these from the constant voltage chart and subtracted the +/-  range . You can up  tweak as batteries might need to the + top range .
Ending amps range I think is  between about 3 and 4.8 amps but you need to do some watching of your batteries to determine this for sure.
See this guide  for how to determine ending amps
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=113
Those must be either AGM or Gel batteries ?
Also look here for lots more info on charging , etc for Classic
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?cid=1

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

schroew

Thanks for the reply! Yes, they are AGM DC250-6. I will review the link you sent and post back here if I have any questions..

https://www.fullriverbattery.com/product/dc250-6/

schroew

Is the amps displayed on the WBJr page(status click 3 times) captured by any setting in the modbus ? I might be able to work this remotely if the amps are recorded by the software..

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: schroew on March 30, 2021, 12:39:01 PM
Is the amps displayed on the WBJr page(status click 3 times) captured by any setting in the modbus ? I might be able to work this remotely if the amps are recorded by the software..
It should say in the Modbus document for Classic.
Otherwise ask Graham in opensource section of the forums.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

schroew

For those following this thread-
Graham quote
"Here is the code snip from the ClassicMQTT, the WhizbangBatCurrent is published to the MQTT broker"