New battery replacement

Started by asdex, March 11, 2021, 04:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_S

Quote from: asdex on March 15, 2021, 01:22:58 AM
I've been looking at LiFePO4 batteries and find the recommended charge rate is around 40 to 60 amps. Is this normal? One had a recommended charge current of 20amps max 50amp. At that rate it would be had to fully charge on solar.
Thanks,

There are a few different "Classes" of LFP cells.  For ESS (Energy Storage Systems) they are generally rated for 1C Discharge Rate & 0.5C Charge Rate MAX.  This is on the "Cell Level", which translates as 100AH Cell = 100A Discharge/50A Charge.  In general, they can also take a momentary high surge rate BUT that varies by Cell Manufacturer.  With LFP or any LiIon chemistry the terminology used is slightly different than with FLA.  We also do not calculate anything at a C/10 or C/20 rate.

As I previously mentioned, I run with 2X 24V/175 & 2x24V/280 with another going into play.  During my Thrash Testing Cycle, I have pushed up to 200A Into the Battery Bank (all battery packs collectively) and then stepped down to one pack getting 140A (on the 280's) and they took it without a blink.  They DID warm up !  15C above ambient.  But this also triggers "Runner Cells" once they reach 3.300 they can run up in voltage fast.  "Thash Tests = extreme edge case test".

Pre-Assembled battery packs can be really great or really poor.  Big brands like SimpliPhi, Relion, BattleBorn and such, you know your safe and secure buying those but they come with a cost, a premium cost.  I very HIGHLY recommend Extreme Caution buying "no name brands" of preassembled LFP batteries.  Some of us (me included) got seriously BURNED by buying a Prebuilt from an unknown and not having done enough research.  My lesson cost me $3500 USD - AVOID ANY PRODUCT BY Shenzen SHUNBIN !!!

BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING !
Do come to DIYSolarForum and check peoples experiences, recommendations and even watch a few of Will's Teardown Videos of Commercial & Prebuilt batteries.   It is all DIY Folks doing different things, some of us assemble our own Battery Systems as well as complete solar system, others are just DIY'ing their Solar and buying pre-assembled batteries and more...  There is a LOT of Experience there, and everyone outs the Baddies !  We have membership from Australia to Zambia and every nook in between.   It could save you thousands of hard-earned dollars !

I have NEVER Heard of that battery maker and there is some odd details that are a flag.  IE:  LFP cells CANNOT be discharged below 2.500 per cell or damage is happening.  a 12V LFP Battery cutoff is 10.00 Volts PERIOD

ClassicCrazy

Steve ,
Are those the brand  lithium batteries in the other post you were talking up awhile back ? Or different ones by different manufacturer ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Steve_S

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 16, 2021, 12:02:13 PM
Steve ,
Are those the brand lithium batteries in the other post you were talking up awhile back ? Or different ones by different manufacturer ?

Larry
I wrote about the ShunBin pack in November 2019.  The One & Only prebuilt I got. Not the only one they screwed and they are still at it because people do not read Amazon reviews. 
Much more info here:  https://diysolarforum.com/threads/shunbin-battery-packs-12v-24v-100ah-and-up-a-complete-rip-off-avoid.1304/

After that mess, I studied & learned a LOT and then I built my own using 280AH cells.
I now get my cells from Luyuan Technologies who offers both Bulk/Commodity cells which are edge case Grade-A cells and Factory Matched & Batched cells which are obviously considerably better but more expensive.
Bulk Cells: $91.50 ea.  Matched Cells: $122 ea with laser welded posts.

The matched cells I just completed capacity tests on actually come in between 281-284AH and they keep a very close IR with each other right through the full voltage range.  I'll be completing my final 280AH pack soon and hope to have my final battery bank config completed by end of March for a total of 1190AH/30.4kWh

The Chargery BMS systems I am using were much more basic but in Jan/Feb 2020 after having worked with the designer of those BMS' they joined up our forum as well and with the interaction between a few of us & the Manufacturer a lot got updated and improved, new Smart Solid State Contactors were developed and more.  Chargery is now going further by taking our info/input and developing a new family of bigger/better/smarter BMS with Active Balancing, CanBus/RS232/RS485 + protocols and more.  I also redid the Chargery Manuals for them (the English translation had to be really made English LOL).

You can say I dove into that segment quite deeply and being a Ret Eng. and having a particular interest in this entire area, I went and learned a lot, made many contacts with manufacturers and Vendors and have now written a few articles and documents for different people & companies.  I suffer from one Handicap which does have it's positives too, I have a partially Eidetic memory so everything "sticks".  That also has negative side effects because "everything sticks" which includes all bad things.  Wish I had known that BEFORE I joined the Army way back when...

ClassicCrazy

I will have to read up on your posts  sometime .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

asdex

Finally received a quote for 4 x 100ah 24 volt lithium batteries and their too expensive. $10500.
Im going to go with lead carbon I think.
Narada  6REXC300 look a possibility at 4 x $700.
Maybe by the time they die, lithium will be alot cheaper.
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North.
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

Steve_S

Quote from: asdex on March 16, 2021, 10:54:00 PM
Finally received a quote for 4 x 100ah 24 volt lithium batteries and their too expensive. $10500.
THAT is INSANE...  Someone smokin something they shouldn't !
100AH cells actually cost more than 200AH these days.

24V/200AH = 8x 200AH cells + BMS
3.2V 202AH CATL Lifepo4 Lithium Ion Battery Rechargeable Cell for EV Car Home Storage Solar System
8 Pieces US$583.20  Ship to United States by Express US$498.00  Total US$1,081.20
BMS <$250 USD/
SOURCE:  https://szluyuan.en.alibaba.com/product/1600068320612-820080421/3_2V_202AH_CATL_Lifepo4_Lithium_Ion_Battery_Rechargeable_Cell_for_EV_Car_Home_Storage_Solar_System.html

ALTERNATELY BigBattery USA:
24V GRILA - LIFEPO4 - 240AH - 6KWH - $2,399.99 USD
SOURCE:  https://bigbattery.com/products/24v-grila/

Plus other options are available including PreBuilt Commercial to DIY for the most economical Bang per Buck.

My 3, 280AH packs (24V/840AH total) - 24 cells, cells alone delivered DDP is $3000 USD (ALL IN)

Even with Voltium Industrial (Made in Canada - Domestic) 24V/150AH Smart System with heating & Bluetooth
Price = $3,399.98 CAD / $3207 USD
Site (French in Quebec):  https://www.volthium.com/product-page/batterie-industria-24v-150a

asdex

I'm in new zealand so it may be different but they say I need 4 x 100ah batteries.
"24EL100 battery as discussed. These have a 4 week lead time, and are $2423.07+ gst per battery." Gst is 15% plus freight.
These are good quality Chinese batteries.
All the same too expense for our little cabin.
Lead carbon is looking better.
Cheers and thanks for your information.
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

australsolarier

maybe New Zealand is different than the rest of the world.

Weldman

Quote from: Steve_S on March 13, 2021, 05:07:17 AM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on March 12, 2021, 11:08:11 PM
good to hear those lithium cells are working out for you Steve.
I may make a switch one of these days .
since you have 15 minutes absorb time and 14 ending amps - which usually comes first ?

I am running 4 packs ATM so End-Amps doesn't really work and I am Not taking them above 3.5V per cell.
I am so pleased with these compared to Lead, they charge faster and deeper my only outstanding issue is charging in December, just not enough panels for the low Sunhour Days.  Sadly there are no great places like Santansolar up here in Ontario Canada.

Right now in March, I am hitting FLOAT by Noon, I rarely saw that by noon with my Lead Battery Bank.

@asdex  An FYI:  IN Winter I have to use Genset to charge occasionally.  4 hours of charging from my L5:30 port (120V/30A) plug on genset through my Samlex EVO Inverter/Charger set to charge at 80A gives me 2 days + run time, from 40% SOC to full takes roughly 7 hours of genset time.  Now while Charging, I am also running Pass-though power to home concurrently which does affect the charging a bit.

24V/420AH Lwad you are currently running only provides you with an actual 210AH of useable.

8x 280AH LFP Cells makes 24V/280AH/7.168kWh battery pack.
Cost for Grade-A (Factory Matched) $1,016.00 USD delivered DDP
Cost for Bulk Grade-A (Unmatched) $ 729.00 USD delivered DDP
*DDP = Duty, Taxes & Fees included.  (Prices from Luyuan Tech)
1X  8S BMS from $150USD and up pending on features
1X MRBF Fuse (BlueSea (Bussman/Eaton)) $30 USD +/-
1X Box or Casing your choice many possibilities.

Will last 3500 Cycles, no maintenance, watering or other nonsense.  LFP is the safest chemistry, no catching fire & exploding.  Funny how noone mentions Lead can do that too...  Shhhh  it's a zekret !

A NOTE ON LEAD & Variants
Many Battery companies have changed over the past few years.  Merger's & Acquisitions have been crazy and it has not been good for Joe & Jane consumer because quite often the Bean Counters of the Investment firms have chopped quality to hell.  General Consumer batteries have degraded as a result.  IF you are determined to stick with ANY form of Lead Stick with KNOWN NAME BRANDS for Solar such as Rolls Surette, Trojan etc and keep away from Experimentals / New Products from "new" companies and wild claim products (some are as bogus as a $3 bill).

My Lead Bank uses Rolls S-550's / now S6-L16-HC which are selling for around $400 ea and I have 8 of them. 
Rolls Lead $3200 for 428 useable Amp Hour or TWO LFP 24V/280 as noted above for $1216 ea X 2 (in Parallel) = $2190 for 560AH useable.  I'd use a better BMS around $225 ea though, so +$150.
According to my math $1216 times 2 equals $2432 not $2190  ;D
Wish I had known same thing before I joined the Army way back too, few tours in combat zones does sidetrack one when you can recall in such minute detail of things you see.

Steve_S

I constantly fall over the currency exchange with fuddles my math at times. 

asdex

I decided to get 12 x 2 volt 400ah lead carbon batteries. Should arrive in May.
Cheers,