Author Topic: Classic 250 External Fan won't turn off  (Read 59 times)

EasternPromise

  • Newby
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Classic 250 External Fan won't turn off
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:56:37 PM »
Background: I had a fire caused by a loose battery connection wipe out 24 Rolls 2V 1450s. They were towards the end of their useful life, but the fire was preventable and should not have happened. Thread on the unfortunate incident is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/battery-fire-and-meltdown.20332/

I've replaced these with 24 1275 AGMs and rigged the system up today. Everything is good so far but have noticed that my Midnite Solar battery temp sensors got toasted and will need to be replaced, as will my Magnum MEBTS15 temp sensor. These will take a few more days to come in and with the temps remaining in mid teens (Celcius), I'm not too worried about it.

However, one of my MidNite Solar charge controllers external Turbo fans is sperging out. It typically only runs during heavy bulk charge but is basically on non-stop even during resting phase. Batt remote says 32 degrees C (which is wrong), and FETS at 26.6 and PCB at 32.2. the controller next to it has higher remote temp at 37.3 (also wrong) with FETS at 46.7 and PCB at 48.3 - and the fan isn't budging.

What gives? If this is faulty battery sensor issue, why would the charge controller fan go nuts? Any suggestions before I call Midnite? I'm of half the mind to unplug the fan because of the racket.

Thanks,

ClassicCrazy

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2902
Re: Classic 250 External Fan won't turn off
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:52:12 PM »
Curious  if you were sure the electrolyte in those cells was not low ?
My neighbor had a battery explode due to that I believe.

Regarding your turbo fan - if you keep a close eye on the controller not getting hot , I would disconnect the fan until the new battery temp sensors were there, and see if they resolve the fan problem.

Larry
system one
Classic 150 , 5s4p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system two
Classic 150 ,5s 135 watt Kyocero , 16s Calb 100AH LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system three
Midnite KID MPPT 24 DC in to  12 volt AGM batterie

FNG

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 312
Re: Classic 250 External Fan won't turn off
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 07:09:37 AM »
Background: I had a fire caused by a loose battery connection wipe out 24 Rolls 2V 1450s. They were towards the end of their useful life, but the fire was preventable and should not have happened. Thread on the unfortunate incident is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/battery-fire-and-meltdown.20332/

I've replaced these with 24 1275 AGMs and rigged the system up today. Everything is good so far but have noticed that my Midnite Solar battery temp sensors got toasted and will need to be replaced, as will my Magnum MEBTS15 temp sensor. These will take a few more days to come in and with the temps remaining in mid teens (Celcius), I'm not too worried about it.

However, one of my MidNite Solar charge controllers external Turbo fans is sperging out. It typically only runs during heavy bulk charge but is basically on non-stop even during resting phase. Batt remote says 32 degrees C (which is wrong), and FETS at 26.6 and PCB at 32.2. the controller next to it has higher remote temp at 37.3 (also wrong) with FETS at 46.7 and PCB at 48.3 - and the fan isn't budging.

What gives? If this is faulty battery sensor issue, why would the charge controller fan go nuts? Any suggestions before I call Midnite? I'm of half the mind to unplug the fan because of the racket.

Thanks,
If the battery sensor gets shorted the fans run continous, this is a software function to allow for testing of the fans by shorting out the pins int he BTS. I would make sure all BTS's are unplugged and if the fan issue persists it is 1 of 3 things:

1- FET temp is above 59C
2- Black fan wire is pinched in case and grounding the fan (Switch is in the negative)
3- The fet that switches the fan is shorted (This usually only happens if the fan is shorted out some how)