Classic 150 display showing OCP

Started by CC, April 08, 2021, 10:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

I have a Classic 150 alternating between Resting and OCP on the display, any help is greatly appreciated.
This CC and solar setup was set up 6 weeks ago and has been working fine the whole time, then 2 days ago when the sun came out it was not charging my system.
I have been searching for answers and came across this site which has been very helpful, looking at past problems has helped with troubleshooting the problem. But I need more assistance.

My system
Classic 150
QCell 400w 72 cell Duo solar panels in series x2 800w total
12v 100 Amp/hr LiFePO4 batteries in series x3 300 Amp/Hr total (12v system)

Solar panel specs
Power 400w
VMP 41.23v
VOC 48.96
ISC 10.19
IMP 9.7

Steps taken so far
disconnected the CC from the system and hooked it up directly to a second battery bank with no load on it (eliminating the possible inverter issue) while still using the solar setup. No change, still displaying Resting and OCP.
Changed the solar panel connection from 2 in series to 1 only. This got interesting, it worked, but not the way it should. There was some shading so don't take the numbers to seriously.

V in was 17.7 (started at 45v but quickly dropped)            Batt 13.4v
129w                                                                                   9.8A

I switched to the second solar panel by itself and got similar numbers. After leaving it like this for awhile (5-10 min) it also displayed Resting followed by OCP and occasionally Bulk MTTP

Both panels together (immediately goes to OCP) alternating Resting, OCP and occasionally Bulk MTTP

V in 92.4                         Batt 13.4
0w                                   0A

RFR screen               
           In                                                 Batt
           38                              +                 42
           42                              -                  39
            0                                                 138

Any suggestions?

boB

Well, I don't think you are doing anything wrong of course...

RFR screen looks normal.   RFR #5  is normal resting reason for low light I seem to remember...

Question:    Has this Classic worked in the past or is this a new Classic that has done this since you had it ?

You may want to talk to someone in our service department  tomorrow morning if possible.  Weekend is coming up

360-403-7207     #2 I think.  Just ask for Classic 150 help from support if you get someone answering.

You can also email now if you want.   support[(((AT)))]midnitesolar.com

They will be able to help you more.

BTW, OCP is Over Current Protection and is built into the hardware that tells the processor that it is happening.

I don't remember if there is a software adjustment to help this ?  Possibly not.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

CC

Bob, thanks for your reply. This Classic was bought new in Dec. 2020 and I set it up mid Feb., it had been working great for about 6 weeks with no problems before this happened. I contacted support, but they didn't have much to suggest except checking connections and checking wires and sizing and restoring the software. All things I already tried or checked. They did suggest swapping out the Classic and I managed to borrow a different brand controller from a neighbour and it works fine, so it looks like this one is going in for repair. Unfortunate after only 6 weeks of use.

boB

I'm sorry about that CC.

These things normally work very well but sometimes we just get something strange like this.

One thing, a long shot maybe that I would suggest is to make sure the circuit board is plugged in good on the top end connector.

That is the area where this OCP circuitry is at....   Just in case.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

KyleM

CC since you were so helpful and corporative with this issue I am going to send you a replacement Classic. You RMA is being processed.

-Kyle

CC

boB, thanks again for your assistance. It's nice to have some place to go for help.

KyleM, thank you for your help. I really appreciate you sending me a new controller. Got it Tuesday and hooked it up Wednesday and it's working great. Nice to see there is still some good customer service out there, it's getting harder to find. You should have the controller back Monday according to UPS.