News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

wBJr Always Negative Amps

Started by schroew, April 20, 2021, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schroew

Done- The Magnum inverters are taking the AC and charging the battery when I connect the generator to the AC input side of the inverter. I am off grid here and totally dependent on solar.

schroew

Hmm, no change. I am at float and it never went positive.

boB

Try going to Absorb.

Force a bulk/Absorb and see what happens.

Also try turning off loads for a moment while doing that.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

OK, I might have to wait for an opportune moment.

schroew

I got to float despite some cloudy sky and I just started the forced absorb with no loads.

schroew

Still looks negative -0.2

boB

Where is the battery and PV negative tied to in your system ?

What is going to your battery negative besides one end of the WB Jr's shunt ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

the diagram.

schroew

schroew

The two 12V batteries. Ignore the other DC250-6 they are part of a different system.

boB

AHA !   I see your problem...

Per your wiring drawing picture,  move the Classic negative wire to the other side of the shunt.

The ONLY thing that should be connected to the battery negative post is the shunt itself.

That should fix it !

This would be why you saw positive current while running the generator through the Magnum inverter.

Let us know how that goes !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

OH, I guess that makes sense. The shunt can't see the inbound amperage from the charge controller. Moving the negative from the controller forces the electricity to move thru the shunt. I need to do the same thing on the other system.
I am going to wait and have an electrician whip over and do this. I don't like messing around with those batteries and I think a new terminal will need to be crimped on to the wire so it will fit on the shunt.
W

schroew

By other side you mean the side opposite to the purple wire side?

boB

Quote from: schroew on April 23, 2021, 11:04:19 PM
By other side you mean the side opposite to the purple wire side?

Yes, the Magnum side.

I think in the drawing, purple is going to the battery minus and the non-purple end is going to the Magnum negative.

That sounds right.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

Would it be bad to take the negative from the bus where I have all 3 charge controllers connected and connect that to the inverter side of the shunt? The electrician are here and I am currently on hold with support but I am not sure your actually open yet. My concern is that this config will confuse the wbJR