Accessing Classics Using Network Bridge "Connection"

Started by Vic, May 07, 2021, 06:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

Have recently setup a Network Bridge between two sites.

Would like to be able to use the LocalApp to access and control two Classics via this bridge, from the other end of this bridge.

So far,  no success  --  have been able to use the LA while at the the remote site.   The remote site uses MM2,  and reports into MM,   reliably.  There is a Router at the remote site,  and the bridge radio is connected to the EDIT-[meant to say] WAN< port of this router.

Have not tried rebooting the remote Classics,  and was hoping to avoid using Port Forwarding on those Classics,   etc.

It might already be very clear to many,  that it would be difficult to find another person on this planet,  who knows less about computer networks,  than I.

Any guidance/suggestions would be truly appreciated.   TIA,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

I don't understand your setup.
You have a router at your remote site and  what kind of radio is plugged in ?
How far apart are the sites ?
The way I have connected two sites is by using two routers that bridge to each other - there is no radio plugged in as they connect to each other via wifi . Depending on distance is how good an antenna you need on each router .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Larry,  Thanks for the reply,

The sites are about 1/2 mile apart.

The radios are Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2s,   one setup as an Access Point at the main cabin,  the other as a Station,  at the remote site. This pair of radios (which have built-in gain antennas) DO communicate,   and provide internet access for the remote site.   The only issue at present,  is that it would be great if the LA,  running at main cabin location would recognize and allow control of the Classics at the remote site.

Overview of the Radios, "locoM2":
https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Specs here,  in too much detail,   see "locoM2":
https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanostationm/nsm_ds_web.pdf

The radios appear to work fine,  and have good signals into each other.

Perhaps a Network Switch is needed at the remote end,  in lieu of a Router   ...   or,   some other thingie,  or doodad.

At the main cabin location,  we do communicate with a Classic,  located in the power room,   and to the shop,  using a good Motorola Router,  speaking through an Extender.   The Extender (Repeater) is about 250 feet away.  This works OK,  but does have some dropouts,  on occasion.

Still have a lot to learn about networks.  Thanks for your thoughts, Larry.  73,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

Here are some thoughts .
If the Classics are connected to the router and that is bridged to the other router - then you should be able to run the Local Status app on your computer ( not at remote site)  and access the Classics ?
If I am understanding you correctly you  have a computer on your remote site and then are trying to use that one ?
I think the place you need to start is see what IP adresses everything has.  There may be some setting you need to change on those Ubiquiti to give you access because they may be protected by a firewall. I haven't used Ubiquiti  and don't know their lingo or settings.
Maybe this will be of help how I use my Linksys that are reflashed with DDWRT.
The router I have my classics plugged in to has IP address or 192.168.3.1  and is setup as access point using DHCP. 
The bridged router is another Linksys DDWRT set up as Client ( bridge)  and it's IP address is 192.168.2.50 . The cat 5 plugs into one of the regular jacks on the Client router ( not into the internet jack )  The Cat 5 that comes inside from that plugs into the 192.168.3.1 router internet jack .
The Client router  which is set up as 192.168.2.50  connects by wifi  to another remote Access point that has the internet on 192.168.1.1 
So from my end at the 192.168.3.1 access point router I can get into anything plugged into this router, but I can also connect to the 192.168.2.50 router set up as a client . I would also be able to connect to the 192.168.1.1 router .
Does that make sense ?  It took me a long time to figure out how to do all this networking stuff. 

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Larry,  thanks for the added info on your system and ideas,

I had wondered if the remote site is on a different Subnet (or something),  and  perhaps that made it impossible for the router,  here at the main cabin to see the Classics ...   Had wondered,  if a network Switch to replace the remote router might,   ...   possibly help this,  if that was the/part of the issue.

There is no computer at the remote,  that is running without a human,  present.

Please lemme cogitate on the bulk of your last message.   This network stuff can get a bit detailed,  for those like me who really know nothing.

Thanks again,  more later,   73   Vic

ClassicCrazy

Can you get into the remote router settings by typing it's IP address in from a browser on your home computer ?
if not that means you don't have something set up right and why you can't get into the Classics either.

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

OK,  Thanks again Larry.   Appreciate you help,  and all that you do for all of us here!   73, Vic

Vic

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 08, 2021, 09:46:53 PM
Here are some thoughts .
If the Classics are connected to the router and that is bridged to the other router - then you should be able to run the Local Status app on your computer ( not at remote site)  and access the Classics ?
If I am understanding you correctly you  have a computer on your remote site and then are trying to use that one ?
I think the place you need to start is see what IP adresses everything has.  There may be some setting you need to change on those Ubiquiti to give you access because they may be protected by a firewall. I haven't used Ubiquiti  and don't know their lingo or settings.
Maybe this will be of help how I use my Linksys that are reflashed with DDWRT.
The router I have my classics plugged in to has IP address or 192.168.3.1  and is setup as access point using DHCP. 
The bridged router is another Linksys DDWRT set up as Client ( bridge)  and it's IP address is 192.168.2.50 . The cat 5 plugs into one of the regular jacks on the Client router ( not into the internet jack )  The Cat 5 that comes inside from that plugs into the 192.168.3.1 router internet jack .
The Client router  which is set up as 192.168.2.50  connects by wifi  to another remote Access point that has the internet on 192.168.1.1 
So from my end at the 192.168.3.1 access point router I can get into anything plugged into this router, but I can also connect to the 192.168.2.50 router set up as a client . I would also be able to connect to the 192.168.1.1 router .
Does that make sense ?  It took me a long time to figure out how to do all this networking stuff. 

Larry

Hi again Larry,

Have been distracted with getting Taxes done,  and whacking weeds.   Next week,  will try to get some time to spend at that remote site,  doing as you have suggested,  trying swapping around cables,  and seeing what I can figger out.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.   73   Hope that you have some nice spring WX.   Vic

BrianNV

Vic,

You need a switch at the remote site so that you are not creating a different network, you want the network at the remote site to be the same local area network(LAN) as your main house.

As far as the radios, I am assuming you programmed them to operate in bridge mode, which is why you are calling them a bridge, and that should cause them to work as if they were a network cable.

Your first step is to have a switch at the remote site and verify that anything plugged into the switch at the remote site is on the same LAN as your main house LAN.

If you have that working and the local app connects to your controller(s) you might also set them(controllers and anything else at the remote site) to static IP's outside the DHCP range of the router in your main house.
The reason for this is that if you lose the Nano link and your controllers(or other devices) fail to get an IP via DHCP from your main house, they should quit trying after so many failures, and then when the Nano link comes back up you don't have IP's for your LAN in the controller(s) or other devices and you would have to physically go there to reset them so that they ask for a new IP.

Brian.

Vic

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply.   Your explanation is a huge help.

Did buy a Switch to try at the remote end,  but have not yet done so.

Need to go to that remote site today,   so we will start by adding the switch.

Really do appreciate your advice,   as,  computer networks are mostly a mystery to me  (as is obvious to those who do know).
Thanks again! Will advise.    Vic

Vic

Update:

Spent time at the remote site.

Per BrianNV's guidance,  added the Network Switch,   changed the Net addresses of the two remote Classics,  and cabled them to the switch.   BINGO,  could  see the Classic at the cabin (also had changed its Net address) from the remote site.

AND,  from the cabin,  can now see and control the two Classics at the remote location.

Thank you very much ClassicCrazy Larry,  and Brian.   Could not have made this relatively simple setup work without all the help!

THANKS again (73),   Vic

BrianNV