New to solar for offgrid farming

Started by beardedowl, June 05, 2021, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedowl

I need to power a DC 12/24 electric fence charger.  I was thinking about getting more PV, Watts and Ah than I need in order to power other things.  I'm looking at the classic 150.  I'm starting to understand how the PV works and the batteries.  I don't understand how you get DC 24V out of the classic to the fence charger.  Do I need some sort of regulator/breaker or does my battery voltage dictate whether it is 12v, 24v, 48v out?

ClassicCrazy

If you want a bigger solar system - then you will want to get less expensive larger solar panels - they are usually 23v and up . Depending on what your battery voltage is you will need 2 or 3 PV panels in series to charge the batteries using MPPT charge controller like the Classic or Kid ( or Midnite now has newer DIY systems ).  The MPPT charge controller takes higher pv voltage and changes it lower to charge the battery. If you have for example a 24v battery system but need 12v for something like a fencer , you would use a DC to DC converter to change battery voltage from 24v to 12v  . These are pretty inexpensive depending on the current you need to run. Samlex makes some good reliable converters.
I suggest watching some of the solar tutorial videos on AltE youtube page and there is another guy who also makes lots of do it yourself  solar videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mike90045

Being off-grid and having sheep with eFence, i strongly suggest a factory built solar fence charger, instead of trying to go DIY.  There are some pretty strong solar chargers, but if you are trying to keep bears out of beehives, you may need a much higher power  system.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV