VMM vs the jumpers

Started by Rob Linschoten, September 17, 2021, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Linschoten

Please forgive me if this is too dumb a question, but...

Is there a difference between resetting via VMM and using the jumpers on the mobo?

Just tried resetting a classic 150 (current firmware) with VMM and noticed it retained a fair number of settings (in particular, the network settings, also some of the WBJR/aux settings). The Tweaks did reset. Time and date remained, but was likely because they were stored in the MNGP. Powered down for about 15 seconds before the Mind-Meld.

Rob L.

7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt
1 Classic 250 for hydro at night, PV during daylight
1 Outback FX3524 for domestic power (240VAC via transformer)
1 Magnum 4024PAE for shop power with phone/auto gen start
8 Switch SWE6-420 (4S-2P) for 840AH@20H-Lead Carbon
3 Junluck battery equalizers

boB

I can't remember exactly the difference but they should be basically the same...  I thought.

They are done in completely different ways though.   For instance, with the VMM all of the values come from the MNGP and
in the jumper method they come from the Classic itself.   The jumper method was done because the cheap old MNGP (Lite ?) did not have a way to VMM and we needed "something" to do the job.

I would just stick with the VMM though since we don't make those non-MNGP's anymore.

I think it might be a good idea though to come up with a list of differences.   Maybe I can do that sooner than later.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rob Linschoten

Thank you for getting back to me on this. No worries, I expect you have enough on your plate as it is...

Reason for asking is that this unit has started defaulting to factory specs for 4 settings (nothing else!) They are EQ, Absorb, Float, and Absorb Time. No matter how many times I enter my custom data (for lead-carbon VRLA's) ---- at some point, back to the 4 factory specs it goes  Other than that, it works perfectly. Went to the latest firmware (2193?)  - still no joy in Mudville. The MNGP is capable of changing/saving all the other entries so not a communications problem. The only non standard item is that the unit came pre-addressed to "110" not "10" as per discussions I've read here on the forum. The other four units are 111, 112, 113, 114 - and they all work as advertised. It also hosts the WBJR shunt and acts as the F-me/BTS Master.  Still, it has been working properly for several years.

Anyway if this is more properly a help desk call, feel free to send me on my way!

Rob L.

7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt

ClassicCrazy

I had one time on one firmware update when button VMM did not work but the jumpers did the job.
I don't remember the particulars - had something to do with the MNGP update I think.
Anyway it doesn't hurt to give jumper reset  a try  ( other than having to take the cover off ) .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Rob Linschoten

Thank you, off to get my Philips screwdriver and a head lamp. :)
7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt

Rob Linschoten

Probably only of interest to 10 people in the world, but....

Prior to the reset I also took the RTC battery out of the MNGP (Rev 2186) and let it sit. The hard reset had slightly different results on my Classic (Rev 2193).

Reset cleaned almost all my custom settings this time - except the network settings, "Follow-me" "BTS master" and the unique comm address (110).

The only notable item during the data reload is that it thought it was on a 12V batt, not a 24V one. There is still a tiny notation on the revision screen "12V Bat". This probably means my -3mV tComp calculations will be off, so I will do a VMM tomorrow to see if it automatically sees the 24V battery. In any event, currently in Absorb at 28.8V

Everyone needs a few projects to keep their minds alive, beats Sudoko IMO.
7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt

Vic

Hi Rob,

One idle question,  when you are re-powering the Classic with the battery breaker,  is the PV breaker at the input to the Classic OFF ?

The customary sequence,  when shutting off the battery power to the Classic (or most any other CC),  is to switch the PV in OFF first,  then,  open the battery breaker.  When powering-up the CC,  battery breaker ON first,  then switch the PV breaker ON,  when you need to make some power.

Am sure that you know this,  but,  just checkin'. 

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

The only thing, really, that makes a difference when you set (or the Classic thinks) you are set to a 24v nominal  battery but using a 12V battery is that the -5mV / 2V cell will turn into -10mV/cell to make the whole voltage change twice as much.

But you can certainly just change the -XmV/cell to -3 or whatever it lets you change it to  (I can't remember) so it gets closer.  In this way, then you can cater to almost any weird battery voltage you want to.   Almost.

The time and date from the MNGP is sent to the Classic once per minute (or two ?) automatically if you have it set to do that in the tweaks.

Replying to this beats pulling weeds  ;D
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Rob Linschoten

Thanks Vic, yeah, did have PV in off. I may have started programming before the CC got settled in doing it's boot up?  Will know tomorrow if I choose to VMM.

BoB, too funny, that's why I was working on the CC. We had a "atmospheric river" event yesterday. 44 Knot winds with 51 knot gusts. Got several hundred gallons of water off the roof into our tanks. Good time to crack the Classic user manual and push some buttons. Yes I will reset tComp to match once I get my head around translating -3 at 24 to -3 at 12  :P 

Thank you both

Rob L

PS. Got it!  1.5mV.
Update: Will leave everything alone for now. Charge settings have not self-reset for 24 hours... so jumper reset and VMM are not the same processes on my CC.
7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt