Replacing MX60 with Classic-150SL?

Started by Llaves, June 30, 2021, 11:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llaves

My current system (factory wired Outback from days when the good guys still ran the place) uses two MX60 charge controllers. I'm looking at replacing one, or both, with Classic 150-SLs. Are there any issues I should be aware of before starting down this road?

Vic

Hi Llaves,  Welcome to the Forum.

The Classic SL is a great Charge Controller at a great price-point.

The SL lacks the Ethernet port,  that IS present in the standard Classic.   This port allows one to use the Local Status panel (Dashboard),  which allows remote monitoring and control of Classics.   Also,  the Ethernet port allows easy reporting of the Classic operating parameters to MyMidnite  --   the free website which stores one years-worth of this data.  This allows checking operation,  from anywhere in the world,  where one has internet access.  MyMidnite does not permit controlling Classics (a security precaution).

The SL is a neat companion to the Standard Classic,  because you will still get much important data from the single Classic.  Add the inexpensive MidNite Current Monitoring accessory  --  the WhizBang Jr --  to a Classic,  and you can monitor Net Ah from/to the battery,  SOC, etc.  In a similar vein,  the standard Classic could be a neat companion to the venerable MX-60   ...

There are several different additional monitoring and control options with Classics.

The above is generally true,  I believe.   All IMO,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Llaves on June 30, 2021, 11:49:07 AM
My current system (factory wired Outback from days when the good guys still ran the place) uses two MX60 charge controllers. I'm looking at replacing one, or both, with Classic 150-SLs. Are there any issues I should be aware of before starting down this road?
I would spend the extra and get the regular Classics - well worth it for the extra features and especially monitoring capabilities. Besides Midnite's software there are other software that you can run on android , windows, or raspberry pi that were developed by Classic owners who wanted to make a great display of data.
And the Whizbang as Vic mentioned is a must have.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable