Availability and use

Started by harryn, July 04, 2021, 12:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryn

Hi - these look pretty interesting to me.

MNMPPT60DIY Charger

Are they available and in common use now or still just getting into the beta release?

I really like:
- Simple, clean look
- What appears to be much cleaner / simpler wire path in and out

Is this a variation of existing software or is it a new software package that needs time to debug?

I noticed that they say "made for Midnight solar".  Are these made in the US or North America - or an import product?

Thanks

Harry

Vic

Harry,

FYI,   these have recently shown up in Distribution:
https://www.solar-electric.com/midnite-solar-mnmppt60diy-charge-controller.html

Have not used any of the DIY products,  yet.

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

laszlo

"Are these made in the US or North America - or an import product?"

This question is loaded. 

Back in the day, PV panels were really expensive ($4-5, even $8 per watt)  and were mostly made in the US, Japan, and Germany. Then around 2008 the Chinese decided they want to be the leader in renewable energy devoted a five-year plan to it. By 2010 the cost of panels went down to around $2-3 per watt, and around 2017 under $1 per watt - making PV solar generation cost competitive with other sources of grid power generation. These days most of the solar panels installed around the world are made in China, because, I am arguing,  they know how to build factories at scale and focus investment.

So it is interesting that Midnite Solar is embracing this trend in terms of their DIY series of products.

I really hope Midnite can ramp up their production facilities, since it's really about the skill to make factories. The new production lines in building 10 (acccording to Robin)  look amazing!
4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

harryn

Quote from: laszlo on July 12, 2021, 10:30:01 PM
"Are these made in the US or North America - or an import product?"

This question is loaded. 

Back in the day, PV panels were really expensive ($4-5, even $8 per watt)  and were mostly made in the US, Japan, and Germany. Then around 2008 the Chinese decided they want to be the leader in renewable energy devoted a five-year plan to it. By 2010 the cost of panels went down to around $2-3 per watt, and around 2017 under $1 per watt - making PV solar generation cost competitive with other sources of grid power generation. These days most of the solar panels installed around the world are made in China, because, I am arguing,  they know how to build factories at scale and focus investment.

So it is interesting that Midnite Solar is embracing this trend in terms of their DIY series of products.

I really hope Midnite can ramp up their production facilities, since it's really about the skill to make factories. The new production lines in building 10 (acccording to Robin)  look amazing!

There is nothing at all loaded or complicated about the question.

I purposely try to purchase products with a maximum North America content as a way to help reduce the trade deficit.

As an example, Victron is an EU based company, but the products are all made in the far east, so I try to buy something else.  That is why I am here trying to purchase products from midnightsolar because a lot of their production is in North America.  If this controller is made in China then I will look at a different model that is produced domestically.

What I really like about this controller vs for example the kid is that it looks like the terminal block / wire access is dramatically improved.

I asked about the software basis because it physically looks a lot like the renogy controller and the software and how those operate is fairly poor.

boB

The DIY series is an alternative to our US manufactured equipment...  We are doing this for one, because a lot of people just want the least expensive but decent quality that they can get and they don't really care where it is manufactured. There are also some supposedly "American" made products that the companies' don't really want you to know  they are made in Asia or China but ARE made in Asia.  At least these companies offer support.  We try to be very up front about where the DIY series is made.

In our case of the DIY series, it is kind of, if you can't beat them, join them type of thing where we will also offer support and the products are pretty good quality.  Can't say that most of the Chinese products are great quality but the ones being used for DIY are very good as far as we have seen and we will offer support for them as well.  Along with that, the prices are very reasonable.

We are still going to keep manufacturing products in Arlington Washington but those will just not be as cheap as those that are completely made in China or Taiwan or India, etc...

Did you know that most completed products from China do not have tariffs added to them ?  US manufacturers must use some parts made in China for our products that are mostly built here in the US.  These parts like electrolytic capacitors, etc, still have a 25% tariff that we have to pay, just to manufacture here in the US.  Sounds like a penalty for US manufacturers, kind of doesn't it ?

Makes companies want to go to Asia to have their complete product manufactured so they can have a decent end price as well as get around all of the employer rules and regulations.   But MidNite Solar keeps on manufacturing here in the US anyway and we will continue to do this.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Hopitrout

I noticed the Midnite website for the DIY series was just updated for an expected mid January delivery of the next batch of the MN3024DIY units.  Also in the Midnite video linked to this thread it mentions that the the next batch of these All-In-One units will be UL compliant (assumed UL-1741).  From the Midnite folks, is that expectation correct?  The MN3024DIY seems to be sized perfectly for my off grid cabin application, but without the UL-1741 compliance, I can’t use it.  I’d love to know…

FNG

Yes any DIY inverters shipped from us from mid october on would be listed by ETL, The label wasnt put on but support can provide the report from ETL

Hopitrout

Saggys

Is ETL and UL1741 the same? I would like a listed product that could pass an electrical inspectors inspection.
Also, will there be an E-panel for the DIY AIO inverters so it can be wired code compliant?