Brat for 48 volt batteries

Started by harryn, July 04, 2021, 01:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryn

Hi, I would like to see a Brat PWM controller with a solar input voltage of ~ 80 VDC Vmp and used for charging 48 volt LiFe and AGM batteries.

I understand the imperfect efficiency of this approach but sometimes a simple setup in a small package out weighs the efficiency need.

Thanks

Harry

boB

We probably won't be making changes to the brat very soon but for now, you could take two 24V PWM controllers and use each one with its own PV (40V rather than 80V each)  on each half of the 48V battery.

Are there any 48V battery PWM controllers out there ?  I don't know or can't remember.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

harryn

That is an interesting idea.

I am not sure that it would be any better / less complex though than just changing the entire system over to 24 volts.

SES Flexcharge makes a taper charger and I use it in "some" 48 volt AGM systems, but it isn't Li compatible.

There are some other solutions for dealing with small (sub 1000 watt) mobile arrays that I use but they require dividing the array into 2 sections and using 2 controllers.  It works but not without some trade offs.

littleharbor2

Quote from: boB on July 04, 2021, 02:50:09 PMWe probably won't be making changes to the brat very soon but for now, you could take two 24V PWM controllers and use each one with its own PV (40V rather than 80V each)  on each half of the 48V battery.

Are there any 48V battery PWM controllers out there ?  I don't know or can't remember.

The venerable, and nearly impossible to kill, Trace C-40. And Morningstar Tri Star line of controllers
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank