News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

What's this mean?

Started by ralph day, August 03, 2021, 07:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph day

I found this OCP IS OFF message on my Classic 250 controller for my Bergey XL1 wind turbine.  Any idea what it means?  I looked in the manual, but couldn't find any reference.

Thanks for any info.

Ralph

boB

Hi Ralph.

There is an OCP (Open Circuit Protection) circuit that can be disabled but is purposely hard to do.

I suppose it could have accidently been done somehow BUT what I think has happened here, and I seem to remember this, that OCP is OFF !   can intermittently show up on the screen.  If intermittently is the case, then it is not really off.  I also remember working on the software to reduce the possibility that it shows up intermittently.

What OCP does is to help against short circuits on the battery side of the Classic.  For instance, when flipping a switch to an inverter or product that has an ENORMOUS filter capacitor connected very close, electrically, to the Classic battery terminals.  This was mostly necessary for situations where the battery itself was MANY times further away from the Classic so that that inverter or product running on battery would rather draw a VERY large amount of current from the Classsic than from the battery.

So, if this message just comes up once in a while and does not stay on the screen, you are probably OK.

What version of software is in that Classic ?   If it is old, then you might want to either update it to newer OR just leave it alone if the message coming up every once in a while doesn't bother you too much.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ralph day

Thanks boB.  It's always nice when you get the attention of the head barber.

I just checked and it's on about a 2 second cycle, so not intermittent.  I've seen it as it is now, resting, during absorb and float.

No cycling down of the unit in the past 2 years at least.  And how does one find out what version the controller lives under?  I looked around the menus and nothing jumped out at me.  No updates ever done...I run under the "if it's not broke..." philosophy.

Thanks

Ralph

boB

Quote from: ralph day on August 04, 2021, 10:06:27 AM
Thanks boB.  It's always nice when you get the attention of the head barber.

How did you know that I did my own hair ?  :D

Yes, don't fix it if it is working !   I agree.

But the message is annoying.   I will look to see how easy or hard it is to fix that *IF*  it really is turned off and you can do some button-pushing to find that out.

How you determine the software version and date of the Classic (and MNGP remote)  software is to go to the main status and press status around 5 times until you get to the screen with that information.  That screen will also show your nominal battery voltage and serial number.
If you keep pressing STATUS beyond that last information screen, it will wrap around to the first status screen etc...

Back to my haircut which is already in progress.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

KyleM

ralph day

I performed the old IT fix, shut it down and turn it back on again.  OCP warning is gone now.  I'll see how long that lasts.  I even remembered to disconnect the wind turbine first.

Ralph