what sized wire for MC4 connectors

Started by sunbelt57, August 12, 2021, 05:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunbelt57

I have an array of panels - 3 in series, 4 parallel strings that use MC4 connectors. Its a 48v system and the panels are 350W, 46.6 VOC, 37.7 VMP & 9.32 ISC. I would like to use 6AWG going to the Classic 150 Lite, which is about 25 feet from the panels. (The panels are 20 feet from the building and the CC will probably be 5 feet up on the wall. I could probably get by with 10 AWG connecting the panels together?

Vic

Hi sunbelt ..,

You will have four strings of PVs,  so,  you will need to use a Combiner (box),  with one DC circuit breaker for each string:
https://www.solar-electric.com/mnpv6.html

Circuit breaker example,   you can use a breaker,  sized to the "Maximum Fuse Rating" for your PVs:
https://www.solar-electric.com/mnpv6.html

You can make the transition to #6 AWG cable,  at the output of the Combiner.

Your Voc is probably a bit high for a Classic 150   ...   IIRC,  you have already posted the String Sizer output,  in an earlier Thread   ...

You probably know all about Combiners and DC breakers,  but ...

More later,  Vic   
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

sunbelt57

For some reason, I was under the impression that you could just tie the wires together. I'm glad I asked now. I'll order one.

Vic

Quote from: sunbelt57 on August 12, 2021, 06:15:51 PM
For some reason, I was under the impression that you could just tie the wires together. I'm glad I asked now. I'll order one.

To reduce the risk of a fire,  caused by a shorted PV module,  a DC circuit breaker (or fuse) is needed when there are three,  or more PV strings,  or  three, or more PVs in parallel.

Regarding the wire size for the PV wiring to the Combiner,  #10 AWG is often used,  and for relatively high power PVs,  #10 cable is used by the PV manufacturers.  If you are making your own MC4 cables,  the manufacturer of these MC4s should specify the range of cable sizes that those connectors will accept.

Many of us will order pre-made MC4 PV extension cables,  of the correct length,  cut them in two,  and use each half on the respective polarity on the PVs,  example of such:
https://www.solar-electric.com/mc4-extender-cable-1000-volts-15-feet.html

FWIW,  it is great that you are asking some good questions,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Vic on August 12, 2021, 06:46:08 PM
Quote from: sunbelt57 on August 12, 2021, 06:15:51 PM

To reduce the risk of a fire,  caused by a shorted PV module,  a DC circuit breaker (or fuse) is needed when there are three,  or more PV strings,  or  three, or more PVs in parallel.

Regarding the wire size for the PV wiring to the Combiner,  #10 AWG is often used,  and for relatively high power PVs,  #10 cable is used by the PV manufacturers.  If you are making your own MC4 cables,  the manufacturer of these MC4s should specify the range of cable sizes that those connectors will accept.

Many of us will order pre-made MC4 PV extension cables,  of the correct length,  cut them in two,  and use each half on the respective polarity on the PVs,  example of such:
https://www.solar-electric.com/mc4-extender-cable-1000-volts-15-feet.html

FWIW,  it is great that you are asking some good questions,    Vic

Vic , I thought you probably would have a good solar connector crimper and a spool of solar wire to roll  your own cables !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Larry,

YES,   I do have crimper,   cable and some connectors.

But am not in the position to recommend crimpers to others.   For many,  buying extension cables is much better than rolling one's own,  for the price of doing so.

Some folks solder these connections,   etc,   doing so,  IMO,  is not worth the risk,   and so on.

All personal preferences.    IMO.

73  Take care,   Thanks,   Vic

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Vic on August 13, 2021, 01:29:33 AM
Hi Larry,

YES,   I do have crimper,   cable and some connectors.

But am not in the position to recommend crimpers to others.   For many,  buying extension cables is much better than rolling one's own,  for the price of doing so.

Some folks solder these connections,   etc,   doing so,  IMO,  is not worth the risk,   and so on.

All personal preferences.    IMO.

73  Take care,   Thanks,   Vic

Okay got you - yes for the non pro easier to get cable already made and cut it in half like you say.
I need to get one of those real crimpers - or maybe borrow one next time I need it.
I soldered mine but learned that can cause problems if getting too hot and then you burn some tinning or coating off the end of connector.
So far no fire here but then again I dont' run 600 to 1000 volt strings here !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable