Classic 150 runaway battery charge

Started by chowderhead, August 16, 2021, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chowderhead

Bad H2S smell this morning on walking into the shop after being away this weekend. Looking at mymidnite2.com, the Classic ran flat out all day Saturday with essentially no load on the system. Pumped 24kWh into my poor little 8x6V batteries. Battery T hit 93 degrees C in the afternoon. Charge status was "Unknown 18" all Saturday except for one Equalize bar at ~ 10:30AM. Same "Unknown 18" status Sunday morning until ~ 9:30AM when it changed to Equalize, then to float at ~10:20AM.

Looking at battery V, it looks like the charge controller decided to equalize Saturday morning, hit the 64.8V equalize threshold at ~10:30 AM when it reported the single Equalize bar on the chart, but then just kept going until Sunday morning, when it hit the equalize threshold again.

The system has run flawlessly for over a year until this weekend. Now my batteries took a pretty good kick to the teeth; low electrolyte in all cells.

Oh, and I no longer seem able to communicate with the Classic via TCP modbus...

Any theories covering what might have caused this?

boB

Is it possible that the system could not finish the EQ on the Saturday and continued it again on on Sunday to complete the EQ ?

Otherwise, maybe it needs to be looked at ? 

Also, 64+ volts is kind of high isn't it ?  Not sure what batteries you have.

Another way to do this EQ is to set the Absorb voltage to your desired EQ voltage and do it that way.

Don't forget to check and add more distilled water ?   EQ is not usually necessary thought unless you have not Absorbed for a while.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me