News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Battery life and DOD

Started by Wxboy, April 12, 2012, 09:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wxboy

What voltage do most people try to avoid going below in a 12 volt system to optimize battery life?  I've heard 50% SOC is a good target but I've seen different unloaded voltage #'s for 50% so I thought I would see what people on the forum recommend.  Right now I'm usually running 12.25v in the morning with no load other than the Classic before charging starts but I'm wondering if I can go lower and still be in the "safe zone".
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

boB

A close voltage for 12V batteries would be around 11.8 volts, resting (little or no load).

That is also a good low voltage stopping point for a car battery resting voltage to make
sure that it will still start the car next time.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

WXboy
The actual voltage for 50% would come from your battery manufacturer a close guess at 50% is 12.14vdc. Sounds like you are doing pretty good with the DOD.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

niel

wxboy,
the actual at rest 50% dod figure for your battery is 12.18v as shown by the manual that i gave a link to in another response to you on charging voltages for your battery.

i might add that they make no mention of temperature compensation and you should temperature compensate with the battery temperature sensor even if taking a good guess at maybe a 4 mv per degree c per cell setting.

phonetic

Telco power equipment I work on.  that uses 48volt battery bank, 44 volts is the low volts  battery disconnect setting..a battery discharged at 11 volts (12 volt nominal battery) is aprox 85% DOD under load.
No point sucking all the juce if it damages your battery bank for the extra 10% of charge.
Home:
3.04kW Grid Tie.
Weekender:
6.08kW Off Grid. DC & AC coupled
32 of 190W (12+12 Array DC) (8 Array AC)
Midnite Classic 150 & Classic Lite 150
1.5KW AC coupled Grid Inverter
8 of 600 amp hour Surrette S600 flooded cell battery bank 24 volt 1200 amphour
Outback VFX3024E Inverter Charger, Mate 2.