News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Hawke's Bay testing in Texas

Started by Highflyer, August 21, 2021, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highflyer

Well it took a little longer for me to post, but here it is! 

I indeed needed a larger wall.  In fact I needed to use another wall.   I now have a Barcelona to test.  Both HB and BL are on the same network and are working together.

New software has been loaded and running.  I have seen a few things I would like added to the software.  Mostly clarifications.  I will say there is a lot of interest in the feedback of Beta testers.

As I use them both, I'll post what I find.  So far, I am looking into the menus and how well they capture energy.  I'll update more later
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

FNG

Brian,
Will touch base today, But now the fun starts. You get to test things like Arc Fault and make arcs and sparks lol

Highflyer

Quick update.

I have Barcelona running on the minimum input voltage.  I will be adding a few more panels to that array and see if or how things change.

I will say these charge controllers seem to be ready to capture big energy. 

After going through every menu item,  I have to say there is a lot of functionality available. 

I will also note that in float only one of the charge controllers did the entire job, but we are only talking 350 watts at that time, so I guess that is fair.  I did turn the generating controller off and the other controller seamlessly picked up the load as expected. 

I do have arc fault and Ground fault to add to the system, that gets tested thins weekend.

I will continue to advocate for a little more clarity on some of the menu items like adding which controller I and looking at as I go deeper into menus.  I get I will not change things after they are set up, but if you had several controllers working together and wanted to tweak settings over time, a little more information on the deeper screens might help. 

I just can't help but be amazed at these charge controllers, they are very well done. 

Now I really want to see Rosie.....especially after hearing about her SPI demonstrations.
Brian

Vic

Looks beautiful, Brian.   The HB and Barcelona are gorgeous !   Great work,  all.   Thanks, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Highflyer

All, I now have Arc Fault and Ground Fault installed.  Testing will happen asap. Also, I added two more panels to Barcelona.  At the minimum voltage Barcelona was generating energy, but not well enough.  After adding only two more panels, the efficiency went way up.  Right now Barcelona has nine 230 watt panels with a Vmp of 29.8 so Vmp for them al should be 268, Barcelona is running around 258 volts, so it is close.  I am not concerned, with 2070 max output, I am seeing well over 1800 watts and the panels are not aligned well enough to receive max energy anyway. 

Both HB and BL are doing well.  I have seen well over 5000 watts and I still have another array to add and that is before I add the other panels the first two arrays can handle!

These are getting ready for really high energy!  More pictures and details as they come.
Brian

Highflyer

I forgot to talk about the CANBUS integration.   When I added BL to the HB via the CANBUS (using an Ethernet cable), BL saw the "TINYBARN" setup and adopted it.  The settings were carried over and the BL was setup to generate for the same battery bank. 

The only thing I had to do was reboot after the settings were transfered.  It was that simple.  I bet in the future, Rebooting will no longer be necessary. 

It is nice to setup the system once and share the settings.

Also, I saw both controllers generating as sunset approached and BL could no longer make enough energy in float by itself, so HB helped out.  After a while, BL went to "resting" and HB still made what it could in float MPPT.  These things are seamless.  I like it!

Brian

boB

Thank you for the reports, Brian !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Highflyer

Well I owe you guys an update.  Today we got the first rains we have seen on a while.  During the heavy down pour, HB was still making just under 100 watts.  Now with only cloud cover and no rain, it is making around 1000 watts.  BL is making almost 400 watts as well.  I can definitely see the advantage of higher voltage strings during times of low light. 

I am also getting ready to add two more panels to HB to get me over 4000 watts of capability.  The extra two panels will be fix mounted, so it will be interesting to see how HB does during the day.

So far, I have had only a few small issues and they have been/ or are being addressed.  I am hitting float around 1030AM Local and I am using over 14 kWh a day just to exercise them both.  HB has made over 20kWh in a day with with only a short time running a fan.  BL fans have not come on during production, but then again, I am not pushing it all that hard.  I may change out the panels for some of my leftover 400 watt panels and see ow BL does.  If I do, I expect Float way earlier!

I'll update you all after that tests.
Brian

Highflyer

Well it stopped raining yesterday afternoon and I went ahead and put up the extra panels for HB.  I am now squarely in the +400 volt/ +4000 watt club just on HB!  When running at 4400 watts, HB was seeing just under 60C.  The fan would cycle on and off, in low, once in a while. Even with yesterdays cloud cover HB and BL made just under 5kWh. Today the system made it to float just after noon. It had registered over 14kWh by then.  These things are really nice and capable.  Barcelona continues to run very cool with a smaller array.  I think it will be time to setup a larger array for BL as soon as I get the chance.  More to follow.  And to think it can handle TWO arrays, man these things are beasts.

I also Hear Rosie will be on the way soon, then the WALL of POWER gets moved and enlarged!  I have a 5HP air compressor
that will be tested as soon as I am told to give it a try!  Also, I need to weld up another array, and that might just be on the list as well.
Brian

Vic

This all sounds great, Brian!  Keep up the good work,  thanks for your reports.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

Highflyer

Okay, I'll be back to the farm early next week.  I have decided to swap out the older 230 watt panels for new 400 panels for Barcelona.  It is time to make more kWh!  Everything is running very well, but now is the time to step it up again.

More when I get back.
Brian

Highflyer

Well I did make it back to the farm after my last trip but...

After watching Ryan's video on SPDs, I added one to the Hawk's Bay unit as well.  It is a good thing as our farm is in Texas and we had a very large storm pass over us the next day, what a show.  I also upgraded the CBs out at the arrays.  I like staying safe, and I like my equipment safe as well.  (all from Midnite, of course)

I also was told there was new software available.  I uploaded it to both controllers and now I see there are more options and more control.  After going through all the settings, I can say I like the granularity and control available.  I still have a few wishlist items, but they can be worked out easily enough. The larger panels are still on the to do list, so hopefully they are the next upgrade!  Truthfully, I need to use more energy so I can test the charge controller longer each day.  As it is, I hit float way too early even when I use both water heaters for the aquaponics system (~1800 gallons of water) after a water change.

I am use to using 4-5 kWh a day but now, 14-18 kWh are routine and the batteries have no issues.  Just over 24 kWh in one day is the most I have made, but again, I hit float before the day was over and it was partly cloudy that day.  These two controllers are up to the task.  Oh, and I still have not heard the fans on high yet...

Brian

Highflyer

Well with the cloudy weather the last few days, the batteries were getting low.  No problem.  Yesterday we made 31kWh, our best day ever. 

I have been through the entire menu structure of the new software.  There are still a few known bugs, but the information offered and the control we will have over our systems is very complete.  I also love the way they communicate and allow for simple control of all items in the group using any of the MNGPs.  This makes it simple to have the complete system status from any of the devices. 

I still have a few wish list items which will get addressed after the core software is mature.  All in all, These controllers work very well and and provide a new level of performance. 

I'm very happy with the quality, capability, and the performance.  Now COME ON ROSIE!!!  Then I will really be able to use some serious kWh.

Think about it.  With one Barcelona and a Rosie or two, you could easily charge an EV off grid, given enough panels (20-30).  That is a lot of capability.  With remote cabins and EVs being inevitable, This level of capability allows for a lot of options.  Well done indeed. 
Brian

Highflyer

We got new software for the MNGP2s.  Tracking highest output in watts and amps makes it easy for anyone to understand their generation numbers.  Batt low and high lets you know instantly what shape your batteries are in day to day(other info available a well).  The log looks backwards well.  If you go back and select the other controller, it takes you to the same place allowing you to see all your outputs quickly.  This is one thing I had asked for earlier and really like how they did this one.  Nice work all. Also, you can instantly see if your battery sensing is correct and the same on all your devices.   

I expect things will just keep getting better and better.  Still haven't heard the fans on high (other than startup).  Time to add more panels.  Oh I did use a thermal today looking for hot spots.  I did not find any.  I will look again tomorrow during full sunlight production, but I bet the results will be the same.  These are very nicely thermally controlled. 

More as I learn it.
Brian

Vic

Hi Brian,  thanks for the update.

It does sound like a lot of progress is being made by MidNite,  and thank you, Brian, again, for all of your testing and giving feedback to MN.

These new CCs seem to have all that anyone would want,  and MidNite has taken steps beyond that,  in the customary MidNite fashion, to make them better, yet.

Thanks to all who have contributed to making these products (Rosie, too),  as good as they are, and seem to be getting better every day!  Happy Holidays to all,   have some FUN, too,  Vic