SPD question for 120VAC

Started by wb7qni, September 13, 2021, 09:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wb7qni

Tried replying to a 2014 topic without results so am starting a new topic.

I'm a part-time solar installer. On my own home, am running single-phase 120VAC on Outback inverter off-grid system (20 years old) and just tried to put a Midnite SPD on the AC side. Neutral and ground are bonded within this panel and I ran GREEN wire to ground, then both BLACK and RED wires to AC L1. No LEDs lighting up. In 2014 on a similar query, Ryan wrote that this should work. If so, is it normal to have no LEDs light up?

Any suggestions most welcome.

James in Maine

Here's what I read from Ryan on this topic:

Quote from: Halfcrazy on January 03, 2014, 01:55:31 PM
Here is how I would do it. Presumably one of these panels has the AC neutral and ground bonded. In that panel I would put the red and black on the AC hot lead and the green to ground. In the panel without the bond as the neutral floats sort of I would wire it Red to AC hot, Black (with included white heat shrink) on the AC Neutral and green to ground

Ryan

ClassicCrazy

from midnite knowledge base
http://www.midniteftp.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=96

SPD - How do I test the SPD?
Last Updated 3 years ago

We need to verify the SPD is compromised and not something else in the System.

PROCEDURE ONE
TESTING procedure for the SPD300-DC and SPD600 and SPD115
Using a simple (good) 9 volt battery.
Connect the RED WIRE to the battery POS and the BLACK WIRE to the battery NEG.
Both LEDs should light.

PROCEDURE TWO
TESTING the SPD300-AC, SPD300-AC/DC and some older version SPD115.
Connect the RED WIRE to the battery POS and the GREEN WIRE to the battery NEG.
A single BLUE LED should light.

Connect the BLACK WIRE to battery NEG and the GREEN WIRE to battery POS.
The other BLUE LED should light.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

wb7qni

Aha! Thanks ClassicCrazy. Took it out, tested with 9V battery. No LEDs light up. Must be a bad one.

Once I get a replacement, is my hook up still GREEN to GROUND, and BLACK and RED to AC L1?

James

ClassicCrazy

yeah I would go with what Ryan said.
You might check with Midnite to see if they rebuild those spd's.
I thought maybe I saw that mentioned in past .

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

wb7qni

Thanks Larry. Just opened a support ticket with MN. Your advice was invaluable.

James

FNG

Sounds like you have an SPD-300-DC

An SPD-300-AC sources its voltage to light the LEDs from red to green and from black to green
An SPD-300-DC and the 115 and 600 source the voltage to light the LEDs from red to black

Look at the label and give us a shout back here we can help you test it