Can I seal an indoor enclosure for use outdoors

Started by dapdan, May 01, 2012, 09:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Hi Midnite,

I was wondering if I can take on of the steel battery enclosures meant for indoor use and seal it for outdoor use. I need to provide two enclosure for a solar street light installation job. The rain proof enclosure is to big for two of the 8D sized batteries and to small for four of them. The ideal size seems to be the MNBE-D but it does not come in the outdoor rated enclosure. I will need to install a lighting controller along with some breakers on the inside. I can install a lighting controller that is waterproof or one that isn't so I have choices. I would prefer to use the non waterproof one (sunsaver mppt-15l) so I can hook up all panels in series and run higher voltage and less wires. If this is not possible I would use the water proof lighting controller instead (sunlight SL-10l-24V). If it is possible to water proof the indoor enclosure what is the best way to do it.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Damani
I am not sure you could make one out door rated without a lot of work. But the D version you requested is the one we also do in outdoor rated.

Here is a link to the MNBE-D3R : http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=172&productCatName=Battery%20Enclosures&productCat_ID=12&sortOrder=8
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

hc,

I actually meant the MNBE-B. It would hold one 8D per shelf and allow some space on the side to install some surface mount beakers. The thing is from a pricepoint 2 of the MNBE-B is much more attractive than 2 of the MNBE-D3R ($1800 vs $1200). The thing is that the enclosure don't need to be completely water tight as the batteries are sealed gel and the controller can be sealed as well. I would not mind small amount of water in it. I am trying to make the quote as attractive as well so I can get the job. I also like the fact that it is steel which would make it a little more secure than aluminium. I am thinking interms of silicone sealing joints and using rubber gasket for the doors to reduce the amount of water that may flow in. The price for the rain proof enclosure is a little prohibitive especially when you have to international ship it twice and clear local customs and then local freight to final location.

Cheers...
Damani

Halfcrazy

Damani
You could certainly limit the amount of water that could enter any of the boxes with a little work. One concern would be Rust beings they are made from steel. They are powder coated and that is very tough so it probably would not be a big issue unless someone scratches it?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dapdan

HC,

Sounds good to me. I guess I will go with two of the MNBE-B and when I am assembling them I will have my silicon gun handy. In respect of rusting I guess it will be treated as it arises and change it when it can't be. Locally we use metal powder coated meter panel mounted externally from the coast to in land. These meter boxes last at least 10yrs comfortably. In the house I currently residence I get alot of salt in the air as the sea is about 3 miles away and it has only has surface rust at the moment and the box is in good condition with no flaking taking place. Where these enclosures will be installed these is less salt in the environment and it should fair better.

Cheers...
Damani