separate solar strings facing different directions on a single charge controller

Started by Cuteajax, October 19, 2021, 10:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuteajax

What will be the effect if I combine separate solar strings facing different directions on a single charge controller? Will I get the average of both outputs or less? The orientation of my roof can only allow me to separate my arrays. Please advice. I have 6 units of 330 watts solar panels and a single Midnite Classic 200 charge controller.
Outback VFX3024E Inverter
Midnite Classic 200 Charge controller
6 x 320 Watts Monocrystalline Solar Panels
450 AmpHr @ 24 Volts Battery bank

boB

This should work fine.

Almost any MPPT charge controller should fine the maximum power point for the combined PV array.

Very rarely will you find a controller that does not work correctly for this.  The Classic or Kid should track this properly.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Bob D

I have two arrays - one 2500 watt facing about 11AM, and one 1000 watt facing about 3PM, with a single Classic 150.
Seems to work fine, although I haven't checked whether or not the efficiency is maximized.
Classic 150, Magnum 4024, 12-215W panels, 12-85-13 forktruck battery

mike90045

Each facet of the roof, needs to be it's own string, otherwise less illuminated panels in series will throttle the more illuminated array.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

australsolarier

yes, i confirm that the midnite classics work just fine wit arrays of different orientations. on has 4 different orientations:  N, S, W, S and "flat" into the bargain.