News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Rosie Gets Spanked 27kW Surge Test!

Started by onanparts, December 04, 2021, 02:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

This falls under the Beta testing I'm doing up at MS. Today I spanked Rosie a few times with a 27kW surge load, 16kW running load. All were COLD starts! Ouch! The video here is of my last spanking of poor Rosie...never did she shed a tear.

Breakers for all the lights and all the pumps in the MS trade show booth were flipped on...then Rosie's Battery breaker was flipped on....12kW of lights, 15kW pump surge. :) Robin said try to break the Inverters...OK...Tried and failed to break anything today. Maybe I'll have better luck next week?

Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0YE-2cVWBU

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Highflyer

WOW That is a big load indeed. Just think what two Rosies could do.....
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

qrper

Watched the video. Impressive!

I wonder what in the world did you use for a battery to run all that stuff? That had to be pulling 250-300A. And while there wasn't any reference in the video, it appears only one cable on the battery input.

And of course the biggest most often asked question is, when will Rosie get all dressed up for her coming out party?

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

onanparts

Quote from: qrper on December 04, 2021, 10:55:23 AM
Watched the video. Impressive!

I wonder what in the world did you use for a battery to run all that stuff? That had to be pulling 250-300A. And while there wasn't any reference in the video, it appears only one cable on the battery input.

And of course the biggest most often asked question is, when will Rosie get all dressed up for her coming out party?

Mike

The booth does not have a lot of room for a big battery bank. It's made for interactive and intermittent use. Four small AGM's under the covers. They were hammered hard with what I did! 500 surge amps maybe....in one run the 250 amp Rosie DC breaker tripped after about 1-2 minutes continuous at 16kW....:) The battery voltage though had dropped way down to 38.8 so the current rose up a bunch!

There are at least 6 or 7 Rosie's alive right now and having the final kinks, bugs worked out. These are in house Beta units. Andy got side tracked with getting the 12V Rosie version started. He has one hand on each of them.....but as you can tell from the video, Big Rosie is seeing bright light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Highflyer

SO, Beta units are getting closer as well?
Brian

onanparts

Quote from: Highflyer on December 05, 2021, 09:51:45 AM
SO, Beta units are getting closer as well?

Yes they are. Midnite has 6 in house Beta units up and running. They are gearing up to build I think two dozen Beta units right now. All parts required are on hand or have been ordered. Some will be for extensive testing but most are going to end up in Beta testers hands. 2-3 months maybe? Don't hold me to that as I'm just going by confirmed rumors. :) Getting parts/materials is like everywhere now, hit and miss. The number of hits will determine when....

So I hit Rosie again yesterday.....she handles a 20kw load for about 10 seconds before the protection shuts her down.

I brought along a portable load bank. Good for about 5+ kW. So, my 5kW+9kW of lights+about 7kW of pumps = close to 20K+ running watts. I was trying for a different surge situation this time, just a big fat load, 14kW, more than double Rosie's rated continuous output, then turn on those pumps.......No problem! No hesitation at all. :)

Rosie pulled 467 Amps from the batteries at 43.56 volts. That's 20,342 watts on the DC side. She held that load for 10-15 seconds before shutting down! Wow! OK, now I'm a little nervous....will she come back to life? Yup! :) Big sigh....Robin said I can't hurt her...but still....One more time to make sure all is good. Did it again. Same result. 10-15 seconds, shutdown. Protection working properly but dang that's some nice hang time before she says lights out!

Gotta get a look at the AC output side....3rd run. Got a pic of the current, 76 amps, from one leg but neglected to pull back and include the volts. They were around 114-115. So that's 152 amps X 115 =17,480 AC watts. Not too shabby for an inverter rated at 6.8kW!

onanparts

Highflyer

So clearly Rosie needs a bigger breaker.  That is what I got out of those videos :)
Brian

onanparts

Quote from: Highflyer on December 12, 2021, 10:42:13 AM
So clearly Rosie needs a bigger breaker.  That is what I got out of those videos :)

Well......interesting you should mention that. After I did those videos the 250 amp Carling breaker was swapped out to a 300 amp CBI breaker.....The Carling held just over a minute in the 350 amp 2X load test. The CBI gave up at about 30 seconds in the identical test.

The CBI is not as generous to overloads clearly. What breaker ends up in Rosie will be determined by Midnites final specs for overloads.

Highflyer

Did I say bigger, I meant to say better......AND bigger!
Brian

onanparts

FNG

Are you sure on that HP, a common 3/4hp set at 300 feet deep runs about 8 amp per leg and my chart shows a 1hp to be around 12 amps per leg.

onanparts

Quote from: FNG on December 15, 2021, 05:19:55 AM
Are you sure on that HP, a common 3/4hp set at 300 feet deep runs about 8 amp per leg and my chart shows a 1hp to be around 12 amps per leg.

This is the chart I used to get in the ballpark based on the running current. I do plan to pull the pump and get model/specs etc. In the near future.

onanparts

This chart is more detailed. Lots of variables. Going by the numbers here 1.5HP is most likely. If it's not a pain to get an eyeball on it, and the label is readable...I'll try to get the info. :) Rosie is impressive regardless. :)

onanparts

This is the high tech well simulator....about 10 feet tall. Now where is that ladder?......pump is near the bottom I assume.