Classic 250 error

Started by Manbeast, December 11, 2021, 01:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manbeast

I have a classic 250 as stated, has been running for about 3 months with no issues. I have it connected to 2 strings of 4x295 watt panels, and a 12v 400AH bank. Until last night, everything was perfect. No overages, no oddities, nothing. I shut everything down last night due to a severe storm and ran my generator (not hooked into the system). I got up today and turned everything on and my 250 said that my batteries were at 65+ volts and that I was producing 70+ pv volts. Here's the odd stuff.

1. Volt meter on the batteries showed 10.9 volts.
2. PV was disconnected and I was still showing 50-70 V input.
3. When I started the system, I heard some very loud clicking from the 250 as if the relay to turn on the charging side was going nuts. This went on until I turned off the batteries.
4. I cannot see any damage or burn on the boards externally.
5. Performed a factory reset and am still having the same issue.
6. Using a smaller, crappier controller, I can charge my batteries just fine and they do not show as over voltage.
7. This happened a day after I started using the monitoring software and it "failed to update".

What in the world could be wrong? Do I now have a $700 doorstop?

boB

Sorry MB.

Can you verify with your meter that the Classic is reading the same as the Classic shows on its main status screen at the Classic's terminal block ?  The Classic sure doesn't sound like it is reading the correct voltage.  That could be cause by either a resistor gone defective inside or possibly the Classic's top control board is not quite connected properly.  You might push on the top control board to make sure all of the connectors are seated properly just in case.

It is almost like the Classic thinks the batteries are a 48V or 72V bank and the battery is disconnected.

What is the normal PV input voltage that it runs at ?

If it isn't obvious, you should call MidNite's support line (leave a message probably during the weekend) at the main number and/or email  support@midnitesolar.com

The door stop circuitry will still work at $700 is a bit expensive.

I hope this gets figured out quickly.  10.7 volts is low.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Manbeast

So, I did verify everything, and it was still reading all sorts of wonky. Even after a fac reset, it was acting as if I had 24v batteries. Normal input, on a good day, is about 150v. BUT, I did go ahead and disconnect all of it again and pressed the boards together as you suggested, and it worked! Sometimes it just takes a different brain to find the solution. Thanks man.

boB

WoW !   

That is great !      (knock on wood)

Loose ground connection maybe.

Gee...   Do you have earthquakes there? 

Sometimes just shipping things will knock something out of whack.  UPS, Fedex or whoever can be brutal !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me