Author Topic: Enphase help  (Read 234 times)

Bluedog225

• Newby
Enphase help
« on: December 25, 2021, 07:32:10 PM »
Good afternoon and Merry Christmas!

First post here.  By way of introduction, I have a cabin I’ve built in Texas with a big flat roof that would be ideal for solar.  Grid is not sensible ($25,000).

The Enphase IQ8s are finally out.  I’d like to have a large array of panels (about 10kw), micro inverters, a main panel, a battery charger/inverter, and an expandable 48v set of rack batteries.

Any help putting this together with Midnite components would be appreciated. I’m particularly interested in the B17 product line.

Thanks

Tom

boB

• Global Moderator
Re: Enphase help
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 08:38:54 PM »
I don't see why the B17 (for battery backup) and Enphase microinverters shouldn't be a great combination !

Will have to think about this a little more....    The battery voltage regulation part at least.

If these newer Enphase inverters can adjust power level by shifting AC frequency, it should be a piece of cake !

The Barcelona MPPT charge controller should work well to just charge the batteries too without having to shift frequency.

K7IQ  He/She/It

Bluedog225

• Newby
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »
Thanks boB.  I’m pretty serious about getting started on this system once I can pin down the components.  Getting up on the roof to install the panels before the end of April would help beat the heat.

The IQ8s will help me minimize DC lines running from the roof panels to the basement.

I’m thinking of this battery or something similar:

https://shop.signaturesolar.us/products/48v-100ah-lifepower4-battery-by-eg4?ref=cPwLcVc0SW-BjN

Let me know if I can provide any additional info. 

Thanks

Tom

boB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 03:00:10 PM »

I’m thinking of this battery or something similar:

https://shop.signaturesolar.us/products/48v-100ah-lifepower4-battery-by-eg4?ref=cPwLcVc0SW-BjN

Tom

Very interesting battery.  You would probably want a few of those in parallel but could start with one.

I see that it is a pre-order now.  Any idea when they can deliver ?
K7IQ  He/She/It

Bluedog225

• Newby
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 03:50:54 PM »
I was thinking of getting 6 of the 48V batteries and build a rack mount.  But it might be nice to ease into it

There has been a lot of interest in the EG4 and it got a great review from Will Prowse.  Many orders from folks on the diy solar forum recently that are arriving now.  I think the lead time would be 6-8 weeks. Hopefully the shipping delays will work themselves out. 

The biggest issue with the batteries, I think, is the communication protocol.  So that the system can regulate the micro inverters and charging.  This is where I’m over my head. 

I’m hoping the Midnite team can work this out.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:03:35 PM by Bluedog225 »