Charge rate climbs too high when generator is running and PV panels start

Started by Duston, January 04, 2022, 11:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duston

In the winter I will kick on the generator when I am not producing PV power and my battery voltage is low. Yesterday the sun peaked through the clouds and started PV power while the generator was running. My batteries can only take a max 27amp charge rate. When both the PV and generator were running it peaked the amps into the batteries to 30. The PV panels were only pushing in around 10amps in the low light. The only way I noticed this was when I toggled my 150 Classic to view the shunt(WBjr). My question is, is there a setting on the 150 Classic that will hold the charge rate to my maximum(27) in the event that the generator is running and the PV panels are charging? My charge rate is set on my classic for 25amps as well as my inverter/charger separately. I assumed the shunt would read back to the classic and manage any spikes in the event both were running. Charging only PV panels the Classic keeps the charge rate correct and charging only with the generator the inverter/charger keeps the charge rate correct. Thanks in advance.

24v
260ahr Gel
150 classic w/shunt
4024 SW Inverter/Charger
Midnite Classic 150
Schneider 4024 split phase inverter/charger
6v 260AH gel 24v battery bank
6 Canadian Solar 300w PV panels

ClassicCrazy

Your Classic isn't going to be able to know how much power your generator is supplying. It can only respond to the set points of battery voltage and if you set the amp charge limit.
Once it gets to Absorb the Classic is going to cut back it's charging current to maintain the Absorb Voltage.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Duston

that's what is confusing me. the whizbang jr reads the full amps in at the shunt as it was reading 30-ish 10 from PV and 20 from the Gen. I assumed the Classic can read this setting at the shut and toggle its amps in. It sounds like it can only read and adjust to PV into the controller. I wonder if there is a setting through AUX that when the Generator is on PV is off.
Midnite Classic 150

ClassicCrazy

If you have the generator input going through the shunt it will read the amps . But the Classic doesn't use the amps to control anything in the charging  ( except for ending amps to terminate absorb cycle) . Most of the Whizbang readings are mainly for monitoring - like all the SOC information. Before the Whizbang there was no SOC information . 
There are some Aux functions that use the SOC information to control Aux - but that is about it .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

If you have a Whizbang Junior shunt monitor, you can set the Classic to keep the battery itself from going above a set current limit.

See the attached PDF file and see if that might work for you.

Setting the wbjr current limit on the classic

There will eventually be a menu item for setting this but for now you have to use the "modbus editor" in the Classic's MNGP.
Kind of a hack but it should do what you are asking for.

Thanks and happy 2022 !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Duston

Midnite Classic 150

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me