Classic 200 - Designing for remote access via landline telephone / dial up

Started by RJD, May 16, 2012, 11:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJD

Good Morning,
I have a Classic 200 at an off grid cabin that has no internet access but does have a plain old dial up telephone. Is anyone aware of a design solution (or solutions) that will allow a classic 200 to be accessed / monitored via a dial up telephone line either by having the system call out and connect or by dialng in and accessing the unit. Obviously the speed of the connection is a handicap so I am hoping / banking on the principle that the data sent from the Classic is as close to raw and minimalist as possible.
Ideas , suggestions or thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Russell D

Classic 200

boB

I know that you can interface a a dial up  connection to wi-fi or tcp/ip router,
so if that is possible, the you can do what you are talking about.
I don't know of any dial up modems with router and/or wi-fi built in, but
this could be done with a dedicated computer...  Even some older and
slower desktop or laptop could be used for that.  Then, you just plug the
Classic into the router connected up to the computer with the modem,
and Bob's your uncle.  Should be that simple but in this IT world, nothing
seems all that simple sometimes.

I will let our IT guy know about this question and maybe he or Ryan or someone
else has more good info.. (or better yet, experience).

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

RJD

Breathing Life in to this old thread.. working towards a solution (i hope) .
The problem - at times the site is unattended, panels get covered with snow or pollen, batteries get discharged by operational / standby load of classic (which seems to be about 0.5A @ 12v) -> batteries become damaged from extreme discharge and /or they freeze. I have no way of knowing so that I can attend to them . (for now I haul the batteries into heated storage and maintain them November thru April) 
Classic Data Payload Info:
What i think (based on scouring the forum)
a) Found two threads about classic data payload (Classic to host ) one thread indicates 
    i) uses about 856 bytes of bandwidth and another that suggest
   ii) 2kb (2,000 bytes) of transmitted data per connection session
b) session attempts are made every 10 minutes (when possible)
c) total of ~4MB per month of data
d)  i have not found on any info on additional data payload associated with handshake, acknowledgement, confirmation or checksum (please chime in to correct or add to the data spec's above.)
So am working with the conservative assumption that a transmission to the web is 2k.
Site environment factors : off grid install, remote location (water access or 2km hike to nearest logging road), dial up available , cellular (3g) is only possible with the added power burden of a cell booster. Seasonal temp swing from -20degC to +30degC
System makeup: 4 235W solar panels -> midnight e-panel -> classic 200 -> Trojan T105 x4 (450Ah @ 12v). CTC Moto master 3Kw modified sine wave inverter. (aka my sub-optimal inverter)
What i am trying to do:
I would like to have the classic automatically connect to the internet at least once a day (around noon) and be able to update battery state of charge unattended. The solution must be low power and able to run on 12.74Vdc with a tolerance of +2.3vdc /-0.7vdc as the inverter cannot be left on (inverter has a built in over-voltage shutdown at 14.9vdc and is not able to be left on :( in case anyone was wondering.)
Solution I am pondering - Dial up WIFI router (also has a lan port) manufactured by Great Arbor Communications as GAC-300 802.11n WiFi Dial-up Router. This seems have all the functionality required and only consumes 5w of power (5v@1A dc to be specific) . Physically the LAN connection on the classic would be directly connected via Ethernet cable to the LAN connection on this device . The device would connect to a POTS line (standard RJ11 phone line). The modem / router would dial up an ISP (Bell in my case) and allow the Classic to transmit for 30 minutes (or so) and then disconnect. 
If anyone has any alternate solutions, ideas, additional info on the classic (or my midnight website)  or any other input this would be welcome. If you can think of anything i am missing please let me know as well. I will report back my findings.

Classic 200

dgd

RJD,
I don't think there is any way of instructing the Classic to automatically connect over ethernet to a remote site and then forward log data to that site at specified times.
The other way, yes,if the remote machine connects to the Classic and using modbus commands extracts the data required.
I have had to use a low power computer system, Arduino, rPi or BBB to extract Classic data then make it available via web server to external web browsers. On one site I have an rPi3 that connects every day over a cell link to forward data to a data centre that monitors power usage at a remote site.
Maybe others here have better ideas to implement what you are looking for.
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand