Connect to Mobile Hotspot

Started by tjoyce, March 23, 2022, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjoyce

Hi there,
I am working with a high school solar car team and we would like to be able check the MidNite Solar Monitoring software during the race. How do you set up the Midnite Classic 250 on a mobile hotspot to use the monitoring software?

TJ

LilMT

The only way I can think of doing it is the following:
Classic hardwired to a wifi extender. (I use a TP-LINK AC1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender for my cabin), the connect your phone to the extender.  Should be no need for a hot spot.

Downsides:
of course are that you will need an inverter of some sort to provide 110 to the extender.
You will also have limited range working over wifi.  If monitoring is happening in the vehicle then you should be fine.  If you are looking at remote monitoring, then you may have issues with distance.

Another option might be to see if you can com up with a light weight tablet or very small lap top that ethernet built in.  In that case it is just a simple connection from the classic to the device.  Of course this only works if you are looking to monitor in vehicle.  This type of direct link can be done with a cell phone and buy a cell phone ethernet adapter like the Tripp Lite USB C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

If you are looking at monitoring remotely, things get more complicated.

You could use the above methods for connecting direct in the vehicle and then use some kind of screen share to a remote PC or phone.  Might be a little lag but I would think it would be significant.

Anyhow, just a couple of ideas.  Good luck and I will watch this thread to see if there is anything I can help with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.