How much is too much for the Classic 150

Started by BobG., April 08, 2022, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobG.

I installed my system in November. I have 1900W of panels on the east slope of my roof. I realized the way the equipment is configured I can add 960W on the west slope of my roof. My roof is 36⁰ pitch. I'm charging a 24V 600AH LiFePO4 battery bank. Everything has been working well so far. On bright sunny days the 1900W array is putting out around 1600W. With it being April and east slope I'm happy with that. However I have noticed during certain cloud conditions the output is over 2200W with over 75A of charging current and PV voltage of 92V. So I'm questioning if I add an additional 960W of panels on the west slope if I could end up with the Classic 150 going into current limiting? Will the Classic 150 be able to handle that? Could I potentially shorten the life of it?
My original expectation was with the 1900W of panels being on the east slope and 960W on the west slope that they wouldn't both peak at the same time. But now I'm beginning to question that expectation.

FNG

It would be fine with that, Going into current limit here or there will not have any adverse effects on its life or operation.

BobG.

Quote from: FNG on April 08, 2022, 12:36:01 PM
It would be fine with that, Going into current limit here or there will not have any adverse effects on its life or operation.

Thank you. I thought I was still on the right track, but getting 300W over the rated 1900W from the panels and it only being April caught me by surprise.