Problems with Float timing on master Classic

Started by malkierian, April 30, 2022, 03:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malkierian

So, after all of the problems I had with the ground fault, I had switched a couple of Classics to test things, and since the one I put in as the new master Classic for follow-me is newer than the one I replaced it with, I figured it'd be good to leave it there. However, I've had a problem develop where it goes to float charge WAY too soon for no apparent reason. It has a WBJr attached to it, and the settings are set properly (end-amps, amp measurement source set to shunt, high absorb time, voltages matching what the previous master had). However, despite the fact that the shunt still reads in the 60-70 amp range, this Classic keeps going to Float every time I turn it on. I disconnected the networking to the rest of the Classics, and the shunt was actually measuring over 100 net, but this Classic still thought it should be in float. And then, to top it all off, I turned off all the other Classics, restarted that one, and despite the fact that it was providing 70 amps itself and the shunt was reading negative amps (around 35), IT STILL WENT TO FLOAT. I just don't understand why it could be doing this. I just checked, the Classic's firmware is version 2193, so it's not that either. Also, the clock is set properly, and even after leaving the Classic off long enough to reset its Absorb timer, and with the rest of the Classics on and in absorb, the master classic still goes straight to float upon turning on.
1st System: 12.5kw on 5 Classics (3 150s, 2 250s), 1 classic 250 with wind turbine, 2 stacked Magnum 4024PAE inverters.

2nd System: 1250W solar on 1 Classic 150, two DIY3024 running separate breaker boxes, one hooked up to Magnum output for AC charging.

Vic

Hi malkierian,

I have had quite a lot of trouble following exactly what you are saying, in a number of your Posts.  You have a fairly large system, it seems   ...

While the following will not be magic for all of us trying to figure what is the nature of your system,  etc, BUT, could you please try writing a succinct Signature of all of the sources of power for the Classics, the amount of power (PV array size, etc) for each of these, the type and size of your battery/ies, inverter model numbers,  voltage, etc, etc.

The exact details do matter a lot, and there have been a number concerns that you have had with this system.

Another thing that will help others understand your system, is to collect each topic that you are mentioning, into one Paragraph, and separate each of these Paragraphs with two spaces, to break up these concepts.  This will really help someone to go back and easily find salient concepts, in a quick scan of the paragraphs.

Sometimes,  without a Signature, describing your system, some of us feel the need to search your pervious Posts to try to glean, just what IS your system composed of, the past problems, and their solutions.  AND, having each Post be run together is a single Paragraph, makes this process very time-consuming, and at times (for me), it feels that that whole process will take more time than is available, so sometimes, some of us may well just move on, to other tasks.

Thanks, in advance,  I do not want to be too hard, on you,  we all are trying to do our best.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Do you have the Ending-Amps set to look at the WB Jr rather than Classic ?   I think it says "SHUNT" and CLASS for Classic...

Were any of the other Classics in Float ?  Remember that in Follow-Me mode, there is no "master" Classic actually except for the battery temp sensor.

Also, what is your Ending-Amps set at ?

At 70 amps, it should not be going to Float of course.

You might try unplugging the phone cables from the other Classics on the one Classic and see if it still goes to Float right away.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

malkierian

Quote from: Vic on April 30, 2022, 05:23:11 PM
Hi malkierian,

I have had quite a lot of trouble following exactly what you are saying, in a number of your Posts.  You have a fairly large system, it seems   ...

While the following will not be magic for all of us trying to figure what is the nature of your system,  etc, BUT, could you please try writing a succinct Signature of all of the sources of power for the Classics, the amount of power (PV array size, etc) for each of these, the type and size of your battery/ies, inverter model numbers,  voltage, etc, etc.

The exact details do matter a lot, and there have been a number concerns that you have had with this system.

Another thing that will help others understand your system, is to collect each topic that you are mentioning, into one Paragraph, and separate each of these Paragraphs with two spaces, to break up these concepts.  This will really help someone to go back and easily find salient concepts, in a quick scan of the paragraphs.

Sometimes,  without a Signature, describing your system, some of us feel the need to search your pervious Posts to try to glean, just what IS your system composed of, the past problems, and their solutions.  AND, having each Post be run together is a single Paragraph, makes this process very time-consuming, and at times (for me), it feels that that whole process will take more time than is available, so sometimes, some of us may well just move on, to other tasks.

Thanks, in advance,  I do not want to be too hard, on you,  we all are trying to do our best.   Vic
I will try, but it's not only a big system, it's a convoluted system. There's no single type of solar panel that spans the entire system, and in fact I've got at least 4 different kinds (each kind grouped together, of course). I feel like a sufficient description might not fit in a signature.
Quote from: boB on April 30, 2022, 06:01:20 PM
Do you have the Ending-Amps set to look at the WB Jr rather than Classic ?   I think it says "SHUNT" and CLASS for Classic...

Were any of the other Classics in Float ?  Remember that in Follow-Me mode, there is no "master" Classic actually except for the battery temp sensor.

Also, what is your Ending-Amps set at ?

At 70 amps, it should not be going to Float of course.

You might try unplugging the phone cables from the other Classics on the one Classic and see if it still goes to Float right away.

boB
Yes, it's set to shunt, and end amps is set to 20. None of the other Classics went to Float without the Master, and would be in absorb while the Master was disconnected. The Master has the WBJr and the battery temp sensor connected. Also, I say "Master" because of both the BTS-Net setting and the fact that it's got the WBJr attached, thus is the one I expect to go to float first.
1st System: 12.5kw on 5 Classics (3 150s, 2 250s), 1 classic 250 with wind turbine, 2 stacked Magnum 4024PAE inverters.

2nd System: 1250W solar on 1 Classic 150, two DIY3024 running separate breaker boxes, one hooked up to Magnum output for AC charging.

Rob Linschoten

May be stating the obvious (my speciality) but...

Ensure that your absorb time is is set correctly (as if you were not using end amps), and that the slaves are set 5-15 minutes longer.
Disconnect the F-me cable that goes back to the master, so that the communications all goes one way only (yes this works)
You can confirm the F- me network is working by comparing the battery temperature on the slaves to the master. Allow several minutes for data to propagate.
reset the net A.H for the shunt (instructions are somewhere on this site)
try to force going to bulk via the local app or the front panel (under Tweaks) and see what happens.

On another note, can anyone suggest alternative labels for "master and "slave", just asking for a friend......

Rob L
7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt
1 Classic 250 for hydro at night, PV during daylight
1 Outback FX3524 for domestic power (240VAC via transformer)
1 Magnum 4024PAE for shop power with phone/auto gen start
8 Switch SWE6-420 (4S-2P) for 840AH@20H-Lead Carbon
3 Junluck battery equalizers

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

FNG

Quote from: malkierian on April 30, 2022, 03:09:26 PM
So, after all of the problems I had with the ground fault, I had switched a couple of Classics to test things, and since the one I put in as the new master Classic for follow-me is newer than the one I replaced it with, I figured it'd be good to leave it there. However, I've had a problem develop where it goes to float charge WAY too soon for no apparent reason. It has a WBJr attached to it, and the settings are set properly (end-amps, amp measurement source set to shunt, high absorb time, voltages matching what the previous master had). However, despite the fact that the shunt still reads in the 60-70 amp range, this Classic keeps going to Float every time I turn it on. I disconnected the networking to the rest of the Classics, and the shunt was actually measuring over 100 net, but this Classic still thought it should be in float. And then, to top it all off, I turned off all the other Classics, restarted that one, and despite the fact that it was providing 70 amps itself and the shunt was reading negative amps (around 35), IT STILL WENT TO FLOAT. I just don't understand why it could be doing this. I just checked, the Classic's firmware is version 2193, so it's not that either. Also, the clock is set properly, and even after leaving the Classic off long enough to reset its Absorb timer, and with the rest of the Classics on and in absorb, the master classic still goes straight to float upon turning on.

Straight to float? The only things that can cause that i can think of are:
1- End Amps is being hit and forcing a float. Do you have End Amps set to a value and is it being told to use the WBjr. Not setting it to use WBjr is the common issue I see here
2- Skip Days is set and the classic is told not to go to Bulk on those days, Can you check skip days and make sure it is not set
3- Absorb timer set for minimum (Although you would see absorb for a while like 3 minutes on power up)

FNG

Quote from: Rob Linschoten on May 01, 2022, 03:35:49 PM

On another note, can anyone suggest alternative labels for "master and "slave", just asking for a friend......

Rob L
Primary and Follower seem to be taking off in the industry

Rob Linschoten

Works for me...err, my friend.  Thank you

Rob L.
7.8kW PV
4 Classic150, WBjR shunt
1 Classic 250 for hydro at night, PV during daylight
1 Outback FX3524 for domestic power (240VAC via transformer)
1 Magnum 4024PAE for shop power with phone/auto gen start
8 Switch SWE6-420 (4S-2P) for 840AH@20H-Lead Carbon
3 Junluck battery equalizers

malkierian

This seems to be resolved now, guess it just needed a couple of days to fully acclimate.

Vic

Quote from: malkierian on May 08, 2022, 04:17:48 PM
This seems to be resolved now, guess it just needed a couple of days to fully acclimate.

Hi malkerian,

Thank you very much for adding a Signature, describing your system  --  it DOES seem to be quite comprehensive!

Good Luck, with fine-tuning the systems there.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Did you check your Classics to make sure they were not using "SKIP DAYS"  ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me