Local App Freezing up and driving CPU to 90%+ (Partial Fix)

Started by Steve_S, May 29, 2022, 07:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_S

Good Day.
Running LocalApp (Last Version) on Windows 10.
For 2+ Years (on this PC) and this has run fine and is used daily to monitor, including looking at Live Data.
The "Update Function" has never worked "An error has occurred, Try Again", so set to manual & checked occasionally in case someone fixed it.  Years and nada...
Classic set to FIXED IP and everything is set for that, never a problem.
Classic is wired directly to Ethernet which all tests out perfectly.

The Problem.
Approximately 4 months ago, the software started to "Lag" slow down and occasionally "Data - Live" would hang or drop the connection altogether (a Time-Out).  This increased in severity to the point where ANY attempt to view data would lock up the APP and today it finally "crapped out" to the point where it took CPU to 90% with spikes and grabbing focus while attempting to do so.

Partial Solution BUT absolutely NOT a proper Fix.
After perusing the info here I observed the following issues.
*NB* This requires you to have Permission to View System/Hidden Files *not a default, must be set*
-  The "C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\com.midnitesolar.LocalStatusPanel\Local Store" had in excess of 15,000 Files mostly all in this Subdirectory "\Local Store\3706609040"  *This is well within Windows File Management Limits*
-  While the file number is heavy it should not be an issue, the LocalAppSoftware has to Parse the listings and THIS seems to be the primary flaw.  The "Open Chart Version 2" Software appears to be the culprit as it is quite DATED NOW.

-- My semi-solution which fixes it "for now".
I uninstalled the Midnite App but not Adobe Air.
I manually had to go to "C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\com.midnitesolar.LocalStatusPanel\Local Store" and delete the #ApplicationUpdater  and the ##### Directory but NOT the Settings TXT file (did make a backup copy, just in case).
I then ran CCleaner to housekeep any detritus left in the registry etc.
Reinstalled the Midnite App which recreated the two deleted directories & started the App upon completion. Settings Preserved!
The App loaded quickly & properly, it took a few minutes and Date/Live worked again and populated immediately.

NB, the files in the ### directory are the archived daily / live session data files.  As they are removed, the stored historical data goes away as well..  This is NOT the same as the OFFLINE Data.

I hope this helps a few who are suffering similar issues with this LocalAppSoftware.  Let us hope that an update of this is coming and that similar "quirks" are NOT recreated for any future software for midnite products.  Seriously, the software IS Long in the Tooth as in Sabre Tiger Longtooth.... really.

ClassicCrazy

I think Midnite said they are not doing any more with Local Status app.
Curious why didn't you uninstall Adobe Air too ? 
Adobe Air was taken over by a different company .
I only  turn on Local Status app if I want to write any changes. Otherwise I have the raspberry pi getting all the modbus data using Grahams Classic DIY software which makes it into mqtt data and then you can do whatever you want with that data on as many devices as you want . You can use the Grahams Classic Monitoring app or do what I do and use Grafana to customize and display the data how ever you want.
My pi has been running here for many months with no issues - very stable. The software is also set up so that Local Status app can budge it's way in at anytime ( remember only one modbus IP connection at a time on Classic) . Then when you shut off the Local Status app the other mqtt monitoring software just resumes.
Good to hear  you are still with us Steve !
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Steve_S

Adobe Air is also used by something else on my system and was updated already and no issues with it.

At this time I am NOT running the Raspi/Node-Red/Grafana thing but the intention is to revisit that once the powerhouse reconfig is completed and all of the New BMS' (JK-BMS with 2A Active Balancers, BlueTooth/RC485/CanBus) Still 4 more packs to go with the Building  Mods along with it. 

Legacy Land is collecting the dead...  The Hardware (Classics) are clearly outliving the software which is unfortunate...   I suppose soon the Classics themselves will be "Retired" as an active product.

Take Care ClassicCrazy ;-)

ClassicCrazy

Quick question for you Steve. I have some 100ah long  neglected Calb cells that was a 48v pack but a couple cells are bad ( low voltage). The other cells are still showing 3.2v
I would like to put a 24v or 12v bms on some just to see if they will still work .
Do you recommend the jk-bms over something like the Daly bms ? 
Oh and when you get ready to try out the pi grafana stuff let me know and maybe I can make an image of mine to share so you don't have to start all from scratch. Unless you want to spend the time doing that !

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Steve_S

Thanks for the offer Larry, I'll likely take you up on it.
Response to your off-topic Question:  http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=5836.0

Vic

Hi Steve, Larry,

First, thank you very much Steve, for this detailed summary of how to try to recover Li batteries, and all of your other contributions on the general Li topics.  Always interesting, and, so far, we are a Pb-only user.

Thanks, too, Classic Crazy Larry for all of your contributions, on so many topics.  Were it not for your fairly recent mentions of Server Rack LiPO batteries, I would have still paid little attention to Lithium batteries, for off-grid solar setups.

Since our existing off-grid power systems, in two different locations are in their 17th year of service (these are Surrette FLAs), am beginning to realize, that these batteries, might wake-up, dead, some day.

So we recently bought some server rack batteries, to try to kinna use as a backup to these systems.  Am looking forward to learning more about Li, starting, soon-ish.   More later...

Thanks again, guys.  Take care, Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!