Classic cycling between resting, pv shade and bulk mppt

Started by schroew, May 22, 2022, 08:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schroew

Around 6 May I noticed that the normal up and down of my roof array suddenly flat lined. When I looked the array was at 2W all day every day. I figured it just needed to be rebooted so when I came up today I did that by turning off the array and battery breakers and then bringing everything back up. I saw a message on the display about setting the date and time which was odd. After I set the date I noted that the display was cycling between resting, pv shade and bulk mppt. I could hear something click every now and then like a relay was resetting in the controller. I have had this array running without shading errors since Dec 2020.

ClassicCrazy

A real reboot would be to do VMM reset ( factory restore )  - there is info on how to do that in firmware update section of Midnite page.
You just need to hold left and right arrow buttons in while powering up Classic
See details here
https://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=19&firmwareProduct_ID=1&act=edit
Copy down or backup your settings with local status app for easy restore - because VMM will erase them back to defaults.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

schroew

I will do that tomorrow morning and let you know. I really should purchase a spare classic and keep it an an EMP proof bag. I am totally off grid and if I lose a controller I loose a third of my power...
Thanks for the rapid response..

ClassicCrazy

You could also try doing a firmware update - maybe won't help if there is some other issue but at least you would be up to date on that at same time.
Did you check all the wiring and connectors  from your pv array and the breakers too ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

schroew

Its running 2193 so its up to date.. i checked the torque on the ground, not going up on the metal roof if I can avoid it.

schroew

I did the VMM reset as suggested and I still hear the clicking and its cycling between resting and bulk mppt with only 2w in at 124v

boB

Quote from: schroew on May 23, 2022, 08:45:12 AM
I did the VMM reset as suggested and I still hear the clicking and its cycling between resting and bulk mppt with only 2w in at 124v

So, does the input voltage just stay at Voc and not come down ?

If so, this MAY be a broken resistor that we had a problem with a while back once in a while.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

It does seem to be going up and down. I took a screenshot from mymidnite2.

schroew

I want to have a spare so I think I am going to buy a replacement from my vendor. Can I send this one back for review/repair if we run out of troubleshooting steps?

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: schroew on May 23, 2022, 08:58:02 PM
I want to have a spare so I think I am going to buy a replacement from my vendor. Can I send this one back for review/repair if we run out of troubleshooting steps?
You should open a ticket on the Midnite page and they will advise you of your options.
https://www.midnitesolar.com/support.php
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

schroew

RMA issued and I bought a new one so I can have a spare in the future. Thx for for your help!

schroew

I dont know how you figured out where I was going to buy the new controller but I found the shipping label for my rma in the box. Amazing!!

schroew

I replaced the charge controller today and after I ran setup it was cranking out 500Watts. Problem solved.

boB

Glad the new one is working !

Did you send the old one back ?  Or .... ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

I will- i need to get back to where i can ship it first.