"Boot Loader 2.3, Bad firmware"

Started by dapdan, January 07, 2023, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Midnite,

I tried to update one of my older kid, the one that was giving the issue with the lithium batteries, and it seems to stuck in the subject message. it would toggle between the subject messaged and on screen gibberish. how is this fixed or does it have to sent back to the factory.

I had followed all of Ryan instruction on the video and tried to load from a windows machine. The machine was running W11, I am not sure if that is an issue.

Damani

boB

Dapper Dan, I will forward this question on to  the great Mario himself !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

boB,
Thx much. I had tried loading the firmware that was posted in this subsection of the forum and made thing worse. So I removed the unit and install a Beta unit that was recently repaired by Midnitesolar and that seems to be working fine.

Wizbandit

Your Windows PC saw the KID's USB as a "thumbdrive" and wrote a hidden system file to it thus the "bad firmware".  I think the fix procedure is to run the KID UPDATER Program with the KID's USB unplugged. Then power OFF the KID, plug in the USB cable, power up the KID while holding the SETUP BUTTON.

dapdan

Wiz,

Thank you for your suggestion. The trouble is that the kid is responding to any button presses it just keep presenting the same message unless I plug the computer where it cycles thru the same msg and gibberish.

Damani

dapdan

Quote from: dapdan on January 09, 2023, 01:26:14 PMWiz,

Thank you for your suggestion. The trouble is that the kid is responding to any button presses it just keep presenting the same message unless I plug the computer where it cycles thru the same msg and gibberish. The update procedure require me to navigate thru the menu of the kid and the kid isnt responding to any of key presses.

Damani

dapdan

Midnite,

Have been doing some research on the forum and found a similar report from Gary. He was instructed to reboot while holding down the setup button to force the Kid to update and then update it using the firmware installer. I am not sure which firmware I should be using as there is a 1864 and then there is a beta firmware 1876 from July 2022. I am not sure which one I should be using. Also does the installer work for Win 11.

Damani

Wizbandit

Power up the KID while holding the SETUP BUTTON. It needs to be OFF for 10 seconds, complete dark.  This should put the KID in FORCE UPDATE mode.  You have to have the USB unplugged from the LAPTOP first.  Once you see FORCE UPDATE (I think it says that) THEN with the KID UPDATER program running FIRST, plug in the USB cable.  If you can't get it in FORCE UPDATE mode then you will need an RMA to send it back for repairs and/or updating.

dapdan

All,

I am in the usa and wish to send my kid to be repaired. I have a RMA number but can't find the address that you are advised to send it too. Please advise Midnite.

RMA# on outside of box and send to.

MidNite Solar
19115 62nd  Ave. N.E.
Arlington, WA

Thanks,
boB