Midnite KId Resting

Started by Sunbreaker, August 07, 2022, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunbreaker

Hi all, I'm new to this forum- based in Australia. I have a 2014 model Kid controller installed in my caravan, charging 3 x 120 amp Lithium batteries. This system has worked well for years. Recently I noticed the Kid had gone into resting mode despite there being plenty of sunlight and the 12v fridge was running. Consequently the batteries went below 11.8volts and the system shut down. Despite charging the batteries from A/C power the Kid remains in "resting" mode. I have been through the manual and have not found any advice about what can be done to restore the system. It is on, shows battery levels of 13.2 volts, a load of .05 amps and no input from solar. There are also no LCDs lit.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Glenn.

ClassicCrazy

Did you power off and then back on your Kid ?
What are your setpoints ?
What is the PV input voltage showing ?
I am wondering initially if something was up with your pv input since it wasn't charging and showing resting.
After charging with your AC charger if you don't restart the Kid it probably has to wait a day since it won't know that is a new day to restart charge cycle.
Those are some ideas I had about it.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Vic

Hi Glenn,  Welcome to the Forum,

Larry has asked the essential questions.

When you say, "no input from solar", what is the input voltage to the KID, from the PVs?  Are you saying that it is 0.0 V?  If not, what IS the input voltage?

Have you been in an area with fairly close lightning strikes?

Thanks, for that additional info.  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Sunbreaker

Thanks for your replies and here are my answers to your follow up questions.

Did you power off and then back on your Kid ? Yes
What are your setpoints ? Low voltage cut out =12v. Float = 14.2v
What is the PV input voltage showing ? On the LED screen 0.0v. At the input terminals 2.9v in low sunlight conditions. (It is winter here).
I am wondering initially if something was up with your pv input since it wasn't charging and showing resting.
After charging with your AC charger if you don't restart the Kid it probably has to wait a day since it won't know that is a new day to restart charge cycle. Did this and also a factory reset. No change. Also part of the LCD screen is blurred so it is difficult to read the text on the right hand side of the screen.

Still no status lights on the left side of the controller.

There has been lightning in my area recently. My next step is to check the PV connections when it stops raining.
Cheers,
Glenn,

A J Coop

G'day Glenn;
The LCD reads 0.0V at the PV input! or did you measure it with a multi meter?
Might be a idea to remove the input blade fuse and see if the KID reads a higher voltage say 1 or 2 volts below battery volts (give it a few ticks to increase) via the LCD, and test that fuse...
Reading 0.0V in sun, 2.9V in low light would mean to me some sort of short or wiring issue, do you have a Multi Meter?
Make certain to leave out the INPUT fuse until you have checked out the PV and cables

Sunbreaker

Thanks mate,
I have checked the fuses with a multi-meter. They are fine.

The input voltage and amps on the LCD read 0.00 The voltage at the input terminals inside the KID reads 2.9 volts in low light as measured by the multi-meter.

I have obtained another suitable MPPT controller which I will connect temporarily to the system.
If- 1. It works then I know it is the KID at fault.
     2. It reads the same, I know it is the PV array or wiring harness at fault.
Regards,
Glenn

A J Coop

Hi Genn
With your Multi meter measure the voltage at the controller end of the cable before you attach it to another controller!
What is the specs of the PV! If you are keen use the current setting on the meter (highest AMP setting) and short test the PV, Firstly make certain you have the meter probes in their Correct sockets!

Vic

Quote from: Sunbreaker on August 09, 2022, 05:42:34 PM
Thanks mate,
I have checked the fuses with a multi-meter. They are fine.

The input voltage and amps on the LCD read 0.00 The voltage at the input terminals inside the KID reads 2.9 volts in low light as measured by the multi-meter.

I have obtained another suitable MPPT controller which I will connect temporarily to the system.
If- 1. It works then I know it is the KID at fault.
     2. It reads the same, I know it is the PV array or wiring harness at fault.
Regards,
Glenn

Hi Glenn,  Thanks for the added info.

On most MPPT CCs, when the CC is connected to a battery, and the input voltage reads, 0.0 V,  that usually means that the switching transistors inside the CC, have been destroyed.

This can happen by shorting the PV positive of the CC, to PV negative, with the battery breaker, ON.

Lightning nearby could also cause this.

To me,  it seems that the KID has been damaged, because of, NO LEDs, and the LCD display being blurred, on the right side.

Just my opinion,  perhaps try contacting MN Tech Support (Support Ticket), or on the phone.

Just guessing,  Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

A J Coop

Quote from: Vic on August 09, 2022, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: Sunbreaker on August 09, 2022, 05:42:34 PM

Hi Glenn,  Thanks for the added info.

On most MPPT CCs, when the CC is connected to a battery, and the input voltage reads, 0.0 V,  that usually means that the switching transistors inside the CC, have been destroyed.

This can happen by shorting the PV positive of the CC, to PV negative, with the battery breaker, ON.

Lightning nearby could also cause this.

To me,  it seems that the KID has been damaged, because of, NO LEDs, and the LCD display being blurred, on the right side.

Just my opinion,  perhaps try contacting MN Tech Support (Support Ticket), or on the phone.

Just guessing,  Good Luck,  Vic
Hi VIC
I'd say your are on the ball their, I was seeking to see if the PV was ok! To attach it safely to another CC, if the PV is damaged by a strike it would "could" damage the other CC! Lightning especially white lightning zaps PVs and can damage cells to the point of shorting the panel, if the panel checks out and NO visible signs of damage i.e. Lightning, then it would have gone to the KID and destroyed the FETs, which would be a shame, I wonder if insurance would cover that?
regards

A.J.

And good luck Glenn
Let us know how you go?

Vic

Hi A. J.,

You had some great suggestions, and you are correct, about trying to test the PVs, as well as the KID's PV input.

I should have said to test the KID's PV input terminals, with the PV input breaker open, to try to separate the KID's electronics, from the PVs.

FWIW,  Good Luck, Glenn,      Vic

Sunbreaker

Hi All and thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Today I connected a new Charge Controller - same result. Indicates no input from the PV's.

I then tested the output at each PV (at a junction box on the roof) whilst they were disconnected from the KID. It seems that here lies the fault. Either all three have failed as the reading I got from each panel was 1.69 volts. OR, there is a short in the wiring harness between the panels and the KID somewhere in the walls or ceiling of the caravan. This seems most likely.

This is now getting beyond my level of confidence/competence and I fear a trip to the caravan repair centre is necessary.

Thanks again,
Glenn.

A J Coop

Hi again Glenn,
That's tough, shame our help stops there! What State are you in if that's ok to tell or Personal message me, I'm in Tazzie ?? The odds of being in the same state LoL.
If you have insurance you may be covered!!

Thanks for letting us know

A.J.

A J Coop

Quote from: Vic on August 09, 2022, 08:39:31 PM
Hi A. J.,

You had some great suggestions, and you are correct, about trying to test the PVs, as well as the KID's PV input.

I should have said to test the KID's PV input terminals, with the PV input breaker open, to try to separate the KID's electronics, from the PVs.

FWIW,  Good Luck, Glenn,      Vic

Hi VIC
I was sort of freaking out about isolating the PV from causing more issues, I have researched this subject, only on the larger scale home systems (not much when it comes to littler ones), I've seen some nasty outcomes, and if not the PV! Well a good CC gone!
Glenn seems to have gone as far he can go so he may be off to the caravan repair centre, I hope his insurance covers him for the damage..
Thank you VIC
:)
A.J

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable