My Classic 150 Has No Voice

Started by catsassend, August 17, 2022, 05:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catsassend

Just got my system up and running, last week, and am learning at a snails pace.
My Classic has no voice, it does not pass the test. I have the volume set to 65. It is not in Quiet mode. Is my classic defective?

It also does not hold the time when it is shut off. It skips to some obscure time of year in the far future.  :o  It seems to hold other settings making me think this is not a battery issue. Any ideas?

ClassicCrazy

How old is your Classic ?
The older ones didn't come with voice, but they will do the voice if you load in the voice files.
Also make sure you have the speaker plugged in  the mngp .
There is a backup battery for time inside the mngp. If you have an older classic it probably needs to be replaced.
The info and link to voice files is on the forums here somewhere - if you can't find it I can look for it later.
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Right.  Like Larry said, check that the speaker is plugged into the 2 pin connector under the top of the MNGP cover.

I think that we unplug that at shipping because someone might rip out the 2 conductor cable when pulling off the cover to remove the coin cell insulator piece of paper.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

catsassend

Thank you both, I will look at that tomorrow. It has a short network cable connecting the MNGP to the unit.

It is supposed to be brand new. It came as part of the Magnum MS-PAE pre-assembled. The display says it is,
"2186:11/29/2017 MNGP" and
"2193:02/06/2018 CLASSIC"
I assume that is the software versions. (?)

FNG

On the display the face that covers the screen and buttons comes off, Carefully pull it off and make sure the speaker is actually plugged in and while there make sure the paper isolating the coin cell is removed

catsassend

Thank you for the help.
I took the mngp cover off, there was no separation between the battery and the connections, just to make sure, I pushed the battery out with a piece of plastic zip tie. The speaker was securely installed on the speaker posts with the red cable toward the bottom of the unit. I ran the voice test with the cover off, and disconnected and reconnected it, still no voice. <sigh>
I could live without the sound, but I worry there are other problems with the unit that aren't apparent at the moment.
I don't suppose the battery needs to be good for the speaker to work?
Again, thank you for the advice.

boB

Did you go through the things in the MISC --  AUDIO   or   MNGP   menus to check using TEST and/or make sure the  volume is turned up enough ?

At least all of the audio stuff is inside the MNGP remote itself so if need be, the MN support group should be able to swap that out if necessary.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: catsassend on August 17, 2022, 09:29:22 PM
Thank you both, I will look at that tomorrow. It has a short network cable connecting the MNGP to the unit.

It is supposed to be brand new. It came as part of the Magnum MS-PAE pre-assembled. The display says it is,
"2186:11/29/2017 MNGP" and
"2193:02/06/2018 CLASSIC"
I assume that is the software versions. (?)
I think that 2017-2018  may have been right around when Midnite added voice features to Classic.
So maybe yours didn't have it installed.
The first post in this link has the info on how to install voice files to mngp if you want to give it a try.  It takes a few hours to load them in with a computer but from what I remember that doesn't mean your Classic will be offline.
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=3746.0
Or contact Midnite support and see if they will swap out for an MNGP that has all the files in it already.
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

catsassend

Quote from: boB on August 18, 2022, 01:50:29 PM
Did you go through the things in the MISC --  AUDIO   or   MNGP   menus to check using TEST and/or make sure the  volume is turned up enough ?

Yes, I tested it through the menu, with the volume at 60, 65 and then even at 70. It never occurred to me that there might be another way to test the speaker.

Quote from: boB on August 18, 2022, 01:50:29 PM
At least all of the audio stuff is inside the MNGP remote itself so if need be, the MN support group should be able to swap that out if necessary.

That is so true, I would hate to have to swap the whole unit out. <yikes>

catsassend

Just an update, so that anyone with the same issue can see where I'm at.

I just tested the speaker for continuity, and it fails, and on further inspection, I have discovered that the red positive wire was never connected to the lead on the speaker but is plastic welded to the post that attaches the speaker to the MNGP cover.

So now I am going to see, how to get a replacement.

boB

Not sure how that connection happened ?   If you can solder, you might try re-soldering that wire to the speaker terminal ?

Or, just show this picture to our support team and they should be able to send you a new cover with proper speaker connection.

support@midnitesolar.com

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

catsassend

I emailed support, they asked no further questions, they said they would mail me a new cover. I am so happy with the support.   :)

boB

Quote from: catsassend on August 25, 2022, 08:28:09 PM
I emailed support, they asked no further questions, they said they would mail me a new cover. I am so happy with the support.   :)

Awesome !!

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me