Have I cooked my Classic 150?

Started by RexB, August 18, 2022, 04:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RexB

G’day,
I’ve got a DIY off grid hydro setup with a 24v battery bank and a Classic 150 charge controller.
Not sure what I did, but it entered into Hyper Voc mode today while I was looking through the logs. The input voltage started shooting up and the turbine spun up without any load on it. By the time I ran out and cut the water supply the damage seemed to have been done.
The input voltage is now constantly fluctuating between 150-169V even without the generator running, with the display showing “Hyper Voc” and a yellow light displayed on the left of the display.
If I turn the hydro mode off the input voltage drops slowly to around 108V but then hovers around there.
Is there any way of confirming if the unit has been damaged by exceeding the Hyper Voc voltage? If so is there anything that can be done short of a new unit?
Cheers

Tucker Ridge

12x220w Solar Array
Midnite Classic 150 (rev4) w/WhizBang Jr
MagnaSine (MS-PAE) Inverter
MNE-240 E-Panel
ME-ARC Remote
8K Generac Generator
3x8 Trojan T-125 (48V) Battery Bank

boB

At least your input voltage does not read 0.0 V....   That is "normally" what happens when a Classic breaks.

The Classic will not operate of course with the input above 150V.  It won't turn on.

This is why we have Clippers but there are some other Clipper like dump loads out there that can possibly keep that turbine loaded down enough to keep the voltage from rising above 150V.  Some of these devices (trying to remember one of the names) will just short the turbine above a certain voltage and you have to reset it manually.

You can try adjusting the nozzles to reduce the flow rate and turbine voltage temporarily until you get it running or find a solution to the over-voltage (HyerVOC) situations.

You might check out      https://www.powerspout.com/   since he uses (or used to use ?) Classics for his turbines.

I think that Hugh Piggot is also playing with hydro (as well as wind)  and Classics.  Hugh is in Scotland and works some with Power Spout.

https://scoraigwind.co.uk/powerspout-hydro-turbines/

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me