PV Amps higher than Class Amps. Classic 150

Started by Wmontg5988, September 06, 2022, 06:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wmontg5988

One charge controller shows for example 15A in and 23A out and the other 8A in and 3A out with sun directly overhead. I have 3kW on the front half of the roof and 3kW on the back half (small roof) east/west oriented. Even when the sun is angled directly at the back half I don’t get the max voltage and amps. I switched wires between them to see if the problem moved but it did not so it must be the controller. If I do a restart the voltage starts at about 120v and then drops about half and the amps out is consistently 1/3 of the input amps. Would a reboot fix this. Lost my books moving to the Philippines so don’t remember how. Thanks.

boB

You should at least try to re-boot or re-power the Classic.

It is possible that the Classic was not adjusted correctly at the factory ?

If the OUTPUT current is correct and the INPUT current is NOT correct, then things will still work properly.
If it is the other way around, (output to battery not showing correctly), then the Classic will need help.

Hopefully before you move to the Philippines !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wmontg5988

Tried rebooting and also found out I was in wind track track mode but after a restart and checking this morning its still the same. You would think at the very least it would be the same in and out. I am already in the Philippines so no chance of shipping it back and the time zone makes it difficult to call the factory.

boB

Can you use some kind of a clamp ammeter and see which one of those readings is off ?

If the Classic output current is the one that is close, then it will work OK as is.  We can then look to see if maybe you can adjust the input current gain to try to make it better..

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wmontg5988

So here’s a another quirk. Switch those strings overs to my old 100a generic controller and at 10am it’s pulling 28 amps and that’s the backside of the roof. So something is seriously wrong with this classic 150. It never really was a performer to start with. It was also very warm and fans running wide open at zero amps with no pv input. Huh??? Is that why my batts run down if I leave the controllers on with no pv input? Shorted fets maybe? Fets I can replace but the main board I can’t source parts. I can micro solder but not without parts. Maybe I can ship the mainboard in. 🤔

boB

I would call the support guys.  Todd or Michelle or Jimmy P. or...

You can also reference this thread here because you have explained some things.

You can email support[at] midnitesolar.com   and paste in this URL.

http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=5902.0;last_msg=53863
PV Amps higher than Class Amps. Classic 150

Did you try changing the "MODE"  to either SOLAR  or Legacy P&O to see if there was a difference ?

The fans running may or may not mean much, depending out the input voltage, output voltage and the actual output power.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wmontg5988

Flashin red light led to the left and also says OCP Off. I will try to call when I can find the number. I have an app for free Wi-Fi calls I just call at night from here. I appreciate your help.

boB

Yeah, they may have heard of this before ?  Give those guys a try.

360.403.7207    Ext. 102

Would love to here back what they think.

Maybe the technician was adjusting something in the unit and they sneezed ?   ;D

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me