Outdoor disconnect box without combiner with circuit breakers

Started by Silverbackmp, September 21, 2022, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverbackmp

Does such an animal exist? I don't need a combiner feature.

I will have six strings of 12 panels each in series producing 450 volts (595v on the coldest day on record). Two strings on each mount (three sinclair ground mounts of 24 panels). I would like to find a find a high quality disconnect box that I can run fuses in and not a combiner box. Preferably with a single point disconnect handle (not required by code, I literally have no code authority). Either three such boxes (Pros: one per mount, easier to diagnose issues) or one individual one (pros: easier to run conduit to). Would Midnite Solar combiner boxes work for this? I am assume that they are combined before hitting the disconnect switch, so it probably wouldn't. If not, I'll likely just use a conventional outdoor panel and order the individual Midnite circuit breakers.

Thanks

ClassicCrazy

I don't understand why you don't want to use a regular combiner box with breakers ?
You want to be able to switch them all off at the same time ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Silverbackmp

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 21, 2022, 02:50:24 PM
I don't understand why you don't want to use a regular combiner box with breakers ?
You want to be able to switch them all off at the same time ?

Larry

Yeah, just KISS for my wife, mother, and firefighters. I don't need them combined as it's 12 panels in series (no parallel) per string hitting 450-595 volts each going into SMA Sunny Boy 7.7s (two strings each). The Sunny Boys aren't being hung at the ground mounts; they will be 40-100 feet away either under a covered porch roof or inside of a building (batteries and Sunny Islands in yet another building). I couldn't bring myself to leave the SBs hanging below the panels and subject to the rain, hail, sleet, snow and inspections by the local racoons and possums.

I know the SBs have their own DC disconnect, but I would rather something be on the panels themselves as well and preferably with circuit breakers for both troubleshooting and perhaps a little bit of extra lightening surge protection. The SBs will be getting MS Surge arrestors installed at the building, but every little bit counts (every AC and DC line in to every, single, building is getting surge arrestors).

Silverbackmp

Quote from: Wizbandit on September 21, 2022, 07:37:38 PM
https://www.altestore.com/store/enclosures-electrical-safety/switch-gear-disconnects/switchgear-disconnects-dc/squared-h361rb-30a-600v-dc-fusible-safety-3-pole-disconnect-switch-nema-3r-p4164/

About 2x higher cost from 2 years ago...

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I remember reading a post(s) by user "Hedges" over at the DIY solar forum (dude is better than SMA support for SMA issues) having some issues with SquareD circuit breakers, but I don't remember what the issue was for sure. I think (without digging through tons of posts) that multiple SquareD breakers were just out of tolerance with each other enough that it was throwing off the Sunny Island to Sunny Boy line frequency control. He has been switching over to Midnite and/or Carlington breakers.

I found that Siemens also makes a similar disconnect box.

boB

Quote from: Silverbackmp on September 21, 2022, 09:17:32 PM

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I remember reading a post(s) by user "Hedges" over at the DIY solar forum (dude is better than SMA support for SMA issues) having some issues with SquareD circuit breakers, but I don't remember what the issue was for sure. I think (without digging through tons of posts) that multiple SquareD breakers were just out of tolerance with each other enough that it was throwing off the Sunny Island to Sunny Boy line frequency control. He has been switching over to Midnite and/or Carlington breakers.

I found that Siemens also makes a similar disconnect box.

Hedges is a great resource over there on DIY.  Some other knowledgeable ppl too.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me