Classis 150 no longer wants to talk to local status panel

Started by qrper, September 24, 2022, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Hi, gang,

Well for the last several years, I've been a happy camper watching the classic do its thing via the local status panel on my pc. (mac actually)

Now for some unknown reason, all communication has stopped.

Nothing has changed. No added software, no added hardware.

I've of course restarted the computer, (btw... won't work with Graham's app either!) All I get from the local status panel is "device not found." I have it set for auto connect and tried to connect via 10.01.24:502 and nothing.

Cycled power on and off at the classic. No joy. Verified that the comms are set correctly, address shown on the classic is 10.01.24
Cleaned the ethernet cable. The green LED is on (beside the ethernet plug) and every few seconds I see a yellow LED flash.

I'm out of magic on my end.

Any one have some suggestions?

Mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ClassicCrazy

It has to be the connection to the router.
The address you said sounds more like IP address of new classic that doesn't have an internet connection yet. 
I am kind of surprised about that IP address - usually a router will assign an ip address more like 192.168.1. xx .
Look in the router and see if it is showing up on the list of connected devices.
If you didn't restart your router , restart that first to make sure it isn't that simple.
Not sure what address you have set in the Classic for the net - do you have it set to Static or DHCP ?
Then if you have the net address shown in MNGP set to static, make it DHCP and see if connects to the router .
You will have to get into the router and look at in  lan list. But Local Status should find the IP address automatically anyway, as should Grahams monitoring program.
But you may want remove the old ip addressed first in those apps.
Also remember that only one device will connect to Classic at a time -either the Local Status or Grahams Monitoring app .

Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 24, 2022, 07:19:29 PM
It has to be the connection to the router.
The address you said sounds more like IP address of new classic that doesn't have an internet connection yet. 
I am kind of surprised about that IP address - usually a router will assign an ip address more like 192.168.1. xx .
Look in the router and see if it is showing up on the list of connected devices.
If you didn't restart your router , restart that first to make sure it isn't that simple.
Not sure what address you have set in the Classic for the net - do you have it set to Static or DHCP ?
Then if you have the net address shown in MNGP set to static, make it DHCP and see if connects to the router .
You will have to get into the router and look at in  lan list. But Local Status should find the IP address automatically anyway, as should Grahams monitoring program.
But you may want remove the old ip addressed first in those apps.
Also remember that only one device will connect to Classic at a time -either the Local Status or Grahams Monitoring app .

Larry

Thanks!

Like I said, I'm out of magic.

The 10.01.24 is the ID it always had. In fact, the wireless printers all have a ID that starts with 10.xx.xx
I even turned off the printers thinking they may have changed IDs and were talking on the same ID as the classic.
I have the classic set as dhcp. Should I change that to static?

Like I posted, everything was working just fine. According to the my midnite app, comms seemed to stop at 03:42 on the 24th. Nothing else has appeared on the mymidnite app
Yes, I know about only one device at a time. I made sure that either the local app or Grahams app was running but NOT at the same time

If I connect a laptop to the ethernet cable, directly into the classic and type in the ID would I see anything?

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ClassicCrazy

what kind of router do you have ?
Do you know how to connect to it's built in webpage and then look at the list of connected devices ?
The Classic should show up on the list , if it doesn't sounds like they aren't communicating .
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 25, 2022, 01:09:59 PM
what kind of router do you have ?
Do you know how to connect to it's built in webpage and then look at the list of connected devices ?
The Classic should show up on the list , if it doesn't sounds like they aren't communicating .
Larry

Larry,

I'm using a apple airport router. I can see what's connected and the Chassis is not listed (10.0.1.24)under the active devices.
Now I had a switch (hub?) in the basement and I'm going to go downstairs and poke it with a stick. However that being said, my two solaredge inverters are plugged into that switch and they are reporting to the  cloud.

I've restarted the router and the modem. No joy.

Anything is possible, but do you think there is a problem within the classic that would stop it from talking to the local app? Like I said, it just up and quit talking around 3 in the morning and has been quite every since.

I've been thinking of calling tech support this coming week, but to be honest, I don't feel it would get me going. After all, he's going the tell me to do the same things I've already have done.

Mike

qrper

Larry....

went downstairs into the radio room and took a look at the switch. It is a five port switch. The fourth port, the one going to the classic, has one of the LEDs dark. I swapped a cable and the cable from the classic followed the dark LED on the switch.

So? Bad cable? It's been sitting there for  years without anything touching it

or something fubar inside the classic

I'm going to try and find a ethernet cable and try with that.

Can I connect my laptop to the classic via the ethernet cable without a switch directly and if so, simply type in the id and see if the computer sees anything?

mike

ClassicCrazy

I think you will need at least a router in between to connect to the Classic from a computer.
I can't offer you any other ideas because I don't know about apple stuff.
But I have heard that switches wear out over time. So maybe see if you can borrow a switch from someone to try out.
Too bad you don't live close by - lots of cat 5 here - could make you a cable easy enough. Or just go to thrift store or some electronics recycling .
There are tons of ethernet cables on this planet .
I have had a cable go bad - actually connector but that was on an outdoor camera and got a bit wet.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

I tried to connect to an Apple Airport WiFi for a Classic once.  Couldn't even see the WiFi / router over the air.

Now is the time we need smart networking people !  Wish I understood how these things worked at the higher level than just the hardware/electronics part.  OR had the time to understand.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on September 25, 2022, 10:59:56 PM

I tried to connect to an Apple Airport WiFi for a Classic once.  Couldn't even see the WiFi / router over the air.

Now is the time we need smart networking people !  Wish I understood how these things worked at the higher level than just the hardware/electronics part.  OR had the time to understand.

boB

This has been running since '19 and all of a sudden comms quit between the Classic and the router. No new hardware on the LAN, same router, same modem, same everythingâ€"the Classic just stopped talking.
The switch in the basement shows the cable (port) that goes to the Classic as being off line, the LED is dark. I swapped the cables around and the error followed the Classic's port. So, either there is a problem with the ethernet cable between the switch and the Classic or a fault occurred in the Classic that killed the comm.
I'm going to try another cable, just to rule a bad cable  out.
Most likely that's not going to fix the problem, so I'll test and might call tech support to see if that have any magic to solve the issue.

mike

qrper

!!! UPDATE !!

Out of desperation, I called tech support this afternoon. We discussed what I did and Todd gave me some more things to try. While I was talking to him, I clicked on the local status app and what do you know? The silly thing started to work.

I had done nothing to the wiring or routers/switches.

Personally, I think the Classic heard me on the phone with technical support, and I scared it back into working.

Mike

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Sure wish I knew why it started working all by itself.

Mike

ClassicCrazy

Maybe because you restarted everything and wiggled around wires .
Did you ever unplug and plug back in the ethernet wire inside the Classic ?
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

qrper

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on September 26, 2022, 09:57:17 PM
Maybe because you restarted everything and wiggled around wires .
Did you ever unplug and plug back in the ethernet wire inside the Classic ?
Larry

Yeah, did that first thing. I even squirted some deoxit on the connectors..

Mike

boB

Can you try plugging the Classic Ethernet into something else with Ethernet on it ?

A WiFi bridge or another router or a computer with Ethernet or something ?   See if the LEDs blink ?

Does the NETWORK  IP address change it you set it to DHCP and plug into another router ?

Probably something else I am forgetting as a diagnostic.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me