Rohm semiconductors and Midnite solar

Started by qrper, September 29, 2022, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qrper

Gang,

I found this interesting, especially since I've been known to let the magic smoke out of a power MOSFET from time to time.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXxlpf8NWQM

Mike
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System two: 6kWp grid tie with solaredge inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

ClassicCrazy

I never saw that before - video made a year ago too.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Robin

We have more lions of dollars of their FETs, so they wanted to show how we are using their parts at a components show. Nothing functional, but they are all working now.
Robin Gudgel

boB

Yes. They had a B17 inverter module at the last APEC power electronics show at their booth.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on October 06, 2022, 11:38:09 PM

Yes. They had a B17 inverter module at the last APEC power electronics show at their booth.

I remember reading somewhere that during their day in the sun, Heathkit purchased so many transistors that when to tried to buy Fairchild, the FTC stopped them.

Mike, wb8vge
System one: 7kWp w/ Trina 250 W panels @90 Vdc. Classic 150 to 16-6 V U.S batteries. Trace 5548 sine wave inverter.
System three: Midnite Brat, two 120 W Astropower modules, 100 Ah battery. Runs the LED streetlight in the back yard.

boB

Quote from: qrper on October 07, 2022, 10:16:11 AM

I remember reading somewhere that during their day in the sun, Heathkit purchased so many transistors that when to tried to buy Fairchild, the FTC stopped them.

Mike, wb8vge

WoW !  Very interesting !

Mike, speaking of QRP, I don't see ONE QRP rig in your mountain of kilowatts in QRZ pics !

BTW, what is this unit you call  kWp ?

Are you a CW or SSB or AM kind of guy, or all mode ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on October 07, 2022, 10:48:00 PM

Mike, wb8vge

Mike, speaking of QRP, I don't see ONE QRP rig in your mountain of kilowatts in QRZ pics !

boB

They're QRP and thus small and they hid when those photos were taken. I have a complete collection of Ten Tec Argonauts from the 315 receiver to the last, Argonaut 6. All the Yaesu QRP rigs, too. In my younger days, I did a lot of homebrew QRP stuff. I'm not a RF engineer and let the smoke out of many a 2N3866 trying to squeeze out another hundred milliwatts.
I do mostly CW, but I have to admit that after almost five decades in the steel mill, and numerous broken hands and fingers, I normally use a keyboard for CW now. I've been using FT8, or rather, my computer works FT8 and I sit back and watch. Once in a while, I'll get on 40SSB.

The KWp. That's kilowatts peak power. As you know, solar panels rarely meet published speciations, so a 10kW array won't produce 10Kw every day. So when the installer puts the panels up, he rates them as 10Kwp. Kinda of bragging rights, too. "I have a 10Kwp array" Of course 99.9% of the time the array will only produces 8kw. A few times a year on those super bright cold as hell winter days, I'll see the rated power from my array.

Mike, wb8vge

boB

Quote from: qrper on October 08, 2022, 09:48:56 AM

Mike, wb8vge

boB

They're QRP and thus small and they hid when those photos were taken. I have a complete collection of Ten Tec Argonauts from the 315 receiver to the last, Argonaut 6. All the Yaesu QRP rigs, too. In my younger days, I did a lot of homebrew QRP stuff. I'm not a RF engineer and let the smoke out of many a 2N3866 trying to squeeze out another hundred milliwatts.
I do mostly CW, but I have to admit that after almost five decades in the steel mill, and numerous broken hands and fingers, I normally use a keyboard for CW now. I've been using FT8, or rather, my computer works FT8 and I sit back and watch. Once in a while, I'll get on 40SSB.

The KWp. That's kilowatts peak power. As you know, solar panels rarely meet published speciations, so a 10kW array won't produce 10Kw every day. So when the installer puts the panels up, he rates them as 10Kwp. Kinda of bragging rights, too. "I have a 10Kwp array" Of course 99.9% of the time the array will only produces 8kw. A few times a year on those super bright cold as hell winter days, I'll see the rated power from my array.

Mike, wb8vge

BUT I see Drake and Heathkit (SB-101 ?) and Swan (?)  rigs there that aren't QRP. 

Do you rip the power amplifier sections out ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

qrper

Quote from: boB on October 08, 2022, 12:52:39 PM
Quote from: qrper on October 08, 2022, 09:48:56 AM

Mike, wb8vge

boB

Mike, wb8vge

BUT I see Drake and Heathkit (SB-101 ?) and Swan (?)  rigs there that aren't QRP. 

Do you rip the power amplifier sections out ?

Nah.... Plenty of Drakes and Heathkits, but no Swans.... and a couple of rows of Ten Tec Argonaut QRP rigs