Off-Topic-Slightly-Inverter with washer dryer

Started by LilMT, October 20, 2022, 09:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilMT

If this is too off topic, please delete and my apologies.

I have had my system working now for a little over a year and all is going well.  I bought one of the pre-wired off grid systems (MNEMS4448PAECL250) and absolutely love it.

This year we finally got around to installing a washer dryer.  A little GE wash center staking washer/dryer propane on 110V.

Spent the last 3 months trying to get the washer to work.  Had a tech out, replace darn near everything in once and some of it twice.

While on inverter the washing machine will run but when the motor turns on it will fail after a few seconds (anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds).

Power all seems good at that outlet.  Tried different outlets and the same happens.

Tried running washer with generator running and it works fine.

Then tried running washer when dryer is running, and washer works fine.

I came across this blog post about power factor correction - http://mvvikingstar.blogspot.com/2013/03/summery-and-conclusion-compatibility.html

I am NOT an electronics guys but it kinda makes sense... I think.

I then came across another article about some gimmick called a "power saver 1200", basically a couple of run capacitors that sit on the breaker panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Saving-Correction-Protection-Service/dp/B00338ZO0M/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=power+factor+correction&qid=1666272154&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjA1IiwicXNhIjoiMS44NCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

Sold as a "power saving device".

Does anyone with some electronics experience have any input?

Does the first article make sense?

Do ya think this power saver 1200 would do the same thing as the solution provided?

If so, could I install this at the E-panel?

Thanks in advance all.

I am going to try another experiment this weekend.  I will place a lamp on the same outlet as the washer/dryer with 2 75-watt incandescent bulbs. Turn on 1 bulb and see if the washer works, and if not turn on second and see if works.

Thanks again.

Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

ClassicCrazy

why don't you get a run capacitor like in the linked article and try that ?
That looks simple and inexpensive to try.
I have heard of someone in the area having trouble running their washer on a Magnum inverter but not sure what they did about it.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

LilMT

I do not understand AC electronics, and I barely understand DC electronics.  I just wasn't certain if what he was saying even made sense and I did not want to go messing with a homemade component that I wasn't certain what it did.   :o  So I thought I would ask those that have much more knowledge than I do.  :)

Now if it needed some kind of programming done well then I could do that.  But soldering wires and shooting 110V through it.  Yikes.  LOL
Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

ClassicCrazy

There are two posts on the run capacitor -  one side goes to the neutral white wire, the other side goes to the black hot side wire.
That is all the wiring there is to it  - wire it to the outlet where your washing machine is plugged in. If you just wanted to test if it worked you could just put an electrical cord to the capacitor and plug it in the same outlet as the washer. ( the flat connections on the top of the capacitor are what spade connectors fit on - spade connectors crimp on the end of cord wires. )   Then if it worked you could install it in an electrical box with switch like they show in the link.
But I get if you are not comfortable messing with the AC -  (though it would be safe if you shut the power off to it first).
Any heating/air conditioning shop would have those capacitors or you can get them on ebay for $10 or less. Also those shops or an electrician could wire it up on a box for you .
Someone else on here can give their opinion on the theory behind it - seems pretty well explained in his article. I saw some other references to that fix too.
Sound like one thing you may want to do is be able to switch the capacitor out of line when you aren't using it  which I think that link also shows.
Here is another discussion on this where someone else said a capacitor helped.
https://forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/comment/384341#Comment_384341
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

LilMT

Thanks much.

I will try to find specs of the washing machine and see if I can size a run cap for it and see what happens.

Appreciate the input and the guidance.

Sunny days to all.
Thanks,
LilMT

LilMT

Wire a 3uf 370v run cap into a short extension cord and it all seemed to work like a charm.  I will build a nice, contained unit for it with an on off switch and a reset breaker.

Thanks for the help ClassicCrazy.

First real snow of the year so time to move the work inside.
Thanks,
LilMT

ClassicCrazy

system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable