Are MNEAC30QZD Type Breakers Rated For Switch Duty?

Started by Vic, November 07, 2022, 04:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

The above 277 VAC breakers are rated as Supplementary Protection,  and the description says something like, these breakers are tested ONCE  (a single event, to me).  This implies to me, that trying to use one as a disconnect, might be ill advised.

Was looking for a Branch Rated AC breaker, in the 30 - 40 Amp range, Two Pole and single pole  ...

TIA,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

I wouldn't worry about that.  I've switched one of those breakers at least 3 times and it still worked.

Seriously, I don't think there is an issue at all.  And I bet that the UL test makes them switch MANY MANY times and still has to work.

But I don't remember how many times that would be.  I seem to remember the DC breakers needing to be switched MANY times when we were re-rating from 125 VDC to 150 VDC.

The insides of those are the same as I remember.

If I am wrong, someone will hopefully correct me but I sure don't remember anything about number of times switched.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Hi boB,  thanks for the reply.

From discussions here,  IIRC, that MN breakers have been tested for thousands of cycles at rated voltage and current (5,000 times, comes to mind).  Think that this was part of the ETL listing (recognition, or whatever).

The 3,000 AIC rating of these Supplemental-rated breakers should be plenty,  forgot just where i saw the reference, implying that this category of breaker migh not be tested for many, many cycles under some load.

The MNEAC 120 VAC breakers have the 5K AIC rating, required for Branch Circuit breakers.

I will go ahead with this application and the Supplemental-rated MNEAC breakers, after doing some more study  ... 

Thanks again, take care, 73,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!