Classic network port suggestion

Started by LilMT, May 11, 2021, 11:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilMT

Hey engineers,
Just curious id there are any plans to provide POE on the network port or better yet, provide a built in wireless?

Just an idea, I know I can use the ethernet bridge and it works fine, but then I have the inverter conversion to 110 and then convert back down down to the power supply voltage and every conversion costs efficiency :)

And besides, it means one more breaker I have to leave on when I am gone for the week.

Thanks,
LilMT
Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

boB

Hello LilMT

Well, the Classic itself will not be having POE but there will be a Bluetooth dongle for it sometime as we have been working on one...  Slow progress though  :)

There may be POE in our future as far as new product comm-boxes ?  I'm not positive of that though.

Sorry I cannot give you more positive information at the moment  :(
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

LilMT

Bob,
Bluetooth will be cool.  I may be able to make something work with that as well.

Right now I am just trying to figure out how to do remote monitoring on my system which is fairly off grid.

As I have investigated how to connect, at first I thought it was straight forward plug and play(with a couple tweaks), and on a typical network it looks like it would be.

The bad news for me is that I am on Hughes Net Gen 5 (apparently it is a full IPV6 stack) and my thought processes just got thrown out the window.

I know that DDNS providers such as Dynu do provided DDNS for IPV6 but the end terminal needs to be IPV6.

I might have to try to build a PI that can be outward facing IPV6 with inward facing IPV4 because it does not appear that the Hughes Net router does that.

I will keep playing and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the notification about Bluetooth though, that will be cool.

Thanks,
LilMT

Thanks,
LilMT

Classic 250, 3s2p Trina Solar 405watt, 8 Renogy 200ah for 48V 400ah, Magnasine 4448 inverter.

boB

I would look into the newer Star Link  system from Spacex since it is low latency low earth orbit and not geosynchronous like the Hughes network is.

I don't know how easy that is to do though since everybody and their brother is getting it.  Maybe.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

LilMT

Bob,
All signed up and just waiting now.  :)
Supposedly in a couple of months they will send me the box.  fingers crossed.

Thanks,
LilMT
Thanks,
LilMT

boB

Quote from: LilMT on May 12, 2021, 12:32:48 PM
Bob,
All signed up and just waiting now.  :)
Supposedly in a couple of months they will send me the box.  fingers crossed.

Thanks,
LilMT

That is GREAT !    I will be very interested in hearing how it works.  I know it will be much better if it is in the cards for you to get it.

The reviews I have seen are spectacular !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: LilMT on May 12, 2021, 11:39:48 AM
Bob,
Bluetooth will be cool.  I may be able to make something work with that as well.

Right now I am just trying to figure out how to do remote monitoring on my system which is fairly off grid.

As I have investigated how to connect, at first I thought it was straight forward plug and play(with a couple tweaks), and on a typical network it looks like it would be.

The bad news for me is that I am on Hughes Net Gen 5 (apparently it is a full IPV6 stack) and my thought processes just got thrown out the window.

I know that DDNS providers such as Dynu do provided DDNS for IPV6 but the end terminal needs to be IPV6.

I might have to try to build a PI that can be outward facing IPV6 with inward facing IPV4 because it does not appear that the Hughes Net router does that.

I will keep playing and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the notification about Bluetooth though, that will be cool.

Thanks,
LilMT

Have you looked in the open source software section of the group ? There is a pi project there that works well and doesn't need any ports opened up to work as it uses MQTT .
https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT/wiki

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable