New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niel

i have no problem being outvoted on the 500w, but the dilemma of the battery voltage still remains as with many inverters being stacked one would want the higher voltage. if just one or 2 500w inverters then 12v is certainly fine.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on December 11, 2012, 07:40:12 PM
i have no problem being outvoted on the 500w, but the dilemma of the battery voltage still remains as with many inverters being stacked one would want the higher voltage. if just one or 2 500w inverters then 12v is certainly fine.

This is the "New Product Ideas and Discussion" thread so it's not about being outvoted Niel. It's VERY rare for any company to actually listen let alone consider possible product ideas AND input from a super small fraction of it's market.  :)
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

Westbranch

Like VTmaps and Onan et al I am waiting for a small 24V 500W+- inverter to run all my small loads and leave the Big one in 'sleep mode' rather than burn up lots of Watts to run a few lights etc.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

niel

Quote from: onanparts on December 11, 2012, 08:57:43 PM

This is the "New Product Ideas and Discussion" thread so it's not about being outvoted Niel. It's VERY rare for any company to actually listen let alone consider possible product ideas AND input from a super small fraction of it's market.  :)

thanks as i'm very aware of what the topic and thread category is. i guess i'm not allowed to give my 2 centavos worth on the products and then concede to a majority opinion? i wasn't all that worried about it either ftr as it was just talk, wasn't it?

i'll shut up.

boB

Quote from: niel on December 12, 2012, 09:14:36 AM
Quote from: onanparts on December 11, 2012, 08:57:43 PM

thanks as i'm very aware of what the topic and thread category is. i guess i'm not allowed to give my 2 centavos worth on the products and then concede to a majority opinion? i wasn't all that worried about it either ftr as it was just talk, wasn't it?

i'll shut up.

Niel, opinionate away as much as you like !  We listen to everybody !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

I just think of it as tossing stuff at the wall and see what sticks. No good or bad just ideas. Ideas are funny, one idea can lead to another completely unrelated idea like hitting a rack of balls on the pool table.

Just my personal opinion. Think of post it notes. Almost every business uses them and they originated from a failed adhesive.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

jim k.

rather trying to invent a new wheel why not say take my 3000  watt inverter and re-engineer it so that it would come on in phases as demand increases ,I have to keep that thing turned up because lighting is to small of a load to turn it on, maybe there is one like that and I didn't spend enough in the first place. I guess that would be a new wheel when you got done.

onanparts

Must have an optional electric cooled pony harness with fuel injection. ;D
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

niel

this is just thinking out loud for the interest of fine tuning an inverter product for the crew at midnite. i would say the input voltage is a dilemma being you can't have multi voltage unless you come out with multiple models with their own fixed input voltages. i can definitely see a 48v model as there aren't any low cost quality inverters in this area and added modules would allow expansion. (reason for high cost being they are almost all 2kw and up) the 12v crowd is the most common and you'd have need to keep the market open to them and of course 24v is the middle of the road compromise between the 2.

for 12v i can't see going beyond 3 500w-600w modules due to wire gauge sizing and breaker sizing. having the extra costs to bring it up to 1500-1800w constant on a 12v system may not make much economical sense as one may pay way far more than just buying an inverter at the rating they really wanted in the first place. too many 12v inverters out there, but who knows, modules here may still fly. you do know there will be many wanting to parallel up in the ridiculously high wattage areas like 4kw or even 8kw from 12v. this isn't smart or practical and would present an avalanche of trouble for you expanding too high as end users will wonder why your inverters aren't working.

with the 48v end of things you could add many modules to reach better power levels, but the power incrementation could wind up too small and too costly to reach the full abilities this input voltage area can offer. i can't see going 8 500w modules to get a 4kw inverter system going. i can say that a quality 500w-600w 48v inverter would be rare item.

maybe the answer might be small to begin with like 500w-600w for the 1st or primary inverter and then add modules that have even higher wattage like 750w or 1kw?

now here's an idea on the input voltage variable, can they be series stacked to come up with other input voltages? ie., 2 12 models in series with maybe some coordinating electronics if needed to arrive at a 24v input inverter capable of double the wattage of a single 12v inverter? in other words input voltage seriesed and output voltage synced and paralleled. this would directly allow expansion to other voltages, but leaves out the paralleling of modules for more initial power.

another aspect extra modules presents is the aspect of fusing and circuit breakers. do you add 1 to each module output or keep changing 1 master fuse or breaker size?

i can appreciate the tasks before you in trying to innovate something for marketing and this may prove more difficult and time consuming than may suit you or your many devote customers. as such, it may be good to just come out with good inverters without the innovative frills in the meantime?

TomW

Lots of interesting thoughts and ideas in this thread. I am sure my wish list includes  unrealistic wishes with technology as I know it today. But, if you think about it, in the design phase you are taking a wing shot so you have to lead your target a bit  and have to design your product to intersect the future course of technology and not what is available here and now.

Just look at computers and other microprocessor based devices. Computer speed increased exponentially and they literally ran into the speed of an electron wall on how fast a processor could run so they had to develop parallel processing and massive RAM support to keep getting more horsepower into the machine.

It is no trivial task to see and intersect that timeline on technology and even tougher to have the faith to pursue the unknown. But, that is how we humans push things forward from not believing you will sail off the edge of the earth and going into the unknown. I wish I had a look into what is in store for technology in 10 years. Electricity as we know it may not even be used in "electronic" devices in a decade or so. They recently discovered a way to control photons similar to semiconductors and electrons. It didn't get a lot of press but it is a major breakthrough in technology, I think. Other things like crystal lattice storage of data are on the horizon

It all starts with tossing ideas on the wall and seeing what sticks.

Great stuff, sorry for the rant.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

cpm

For some strange reason,

I keep thinking of Bob Carver's Amplifier.

boB

Quote from: cpm on December 30, 2012, 03:21:38 PM
For some strange reason,

Which one ??
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cpm

boB

Quote from: cpm on December 31, 2012, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: boB on December 30, 2012, 06:58:01 PM
Quote from: cpm on December 30, 2012, 03:21:38 PM
For some strange reason,

Which one ??

The Cube. (m400)

I traded a van for an M400 a long time ago.

Had to fix it first after we broke the amplifier when we were evaluating it.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

cdog

Because this is just a suggestion thread....is there anyone other than me that would have a use for....
4kw
120/240
That's it....no charger...no options....no talking to the mother ship....no gen start etc etc...
Just a plane Jane one button bare bones box that will last forever and not cost a fortune...
Am I alone here?