New Off Grid Inverter Charger

Started by nigel, June 15, 2012, 11:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

Quote from: Matrix on November 11, 2018, 09:37:56 PM
Someone has too much time on there hands.  But Hey, up 2 posts ... is that actual B17s in shipping boxes?   I never got my beta tester notice.   :-\

No.  It's definitely his extra time !  Pretty cool though !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Ron Swanson

We got a pile of money burning holes in pockets.  We need this product now.

onanparts

Beta models in shipping boxes by Christmas might be a stretch....Rumor has it that boB is working with Alpha models at this time under loads and with smooth stable output. No magic smoke has escaped...yet! Once boB and the thousands of Engineers at MS have tried their best to get the smoke out and failed, then and only then will we get word on Beta models that are ready to ship.

Now about all that extra time......boB wanted a "Bow" so I found him a bow! Here it is boB!  :)

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

grgdgreek

Quote from: onanparts on November 12, 2018, 01:42:06 AM
Beta models in shipping boxes by Christmas might be a stretch....Rumor has it that boB is working with Alpha models at this time under loads and with smooth stable output. No magic smoke has escaped...yet! Once boB and the thousands of Engineers at MS have tried their best to get the smoke out and failed, then and only then will we get word on Beta models that are ready to ship.

Now about all that extra time......boB wanted a "Bow" so I found him a bow! Here it is boB!  :)
Very suspicious looking signature....

George.
Home:6*135w mitsu.10*175w shuko. 2* cl150.3*D400 turbines.
Rolls18*4v series 5000 545ah*3 .2*Victron 3000 multiplus inv/chg. 24v. Shop:28*185w shuko. Sunny island. Sunnyboy.Rolls 40*s530.48volt.Sunny web box.

boB

Quote from: onanparts on November 12, 2018, 01:42:06 AM
Once boB and the thousands of Engineers at MS have tried their best to get the smoke out and failed, then and only then will we get word on Beta models that are ready to ship.

We are going  very high tech on the B-17 ! 

We have replace ALL smoke with vape !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Some serious wishful thinking here.....but hey, shoot for the moon and settle for an SR-71 at 70,000 feet?  :)

Westbranch

Quote from: boB on November 12, 2018, 12:53:48 PM

We are going  very high tech on the B-17 ! 

We have replace ALL smoke with vape !

Hey boB, what kind of power are you using to recharge the Vape batteries, hope it's Solar...  ;)
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

onanparts

I'm planning a visit up at Midnite end of this week. Been too long! Last July... :o

I contacted my secret info source at MS the other day, claims to be a janitor but I think he's actually the person that makes sure everything is unplugged at night.....isn't that a janitor?  ;)

Anyway, will maybe get to see firsthand a B17 putting out some 60hz 120/240 VAC under load! The janitor says he has a hidden camera in the engineering labs, and recently observed the following activity:

A single B17 AC module running on one cylinder, the modules are OHV opposed twins. On just one cylinder the output was a little over 1100 watts. Accounting for losses it was probably 1050 watts or so.
Temps were running about 65C/150F on the transistors.

Now this is where the janitor said it got interesting. No heatsinks were in use on the transistors. None! No air flow! No fans no nothing!  :o I recall Robin's target was 2000-2500 watts per module, with heat sinks and air flow it sure looks like the higher 2500 watt target is possible!

So a B17-5 with 4 AC power modules could be hitting the 10kW mark! 5th slot gets a CC module and that's one rocking Inverter/Charger/Charge Controllor!  :)

Updates and pics soon!

onanparts

Friday was a long and very interesting day up at Midnite. First, I did get to see a B17 operating various loads, resistive and inductive! Lots of big grins around the Midnite Engineering Division. This is the point where all the Engineers start to have a lot of fun, real world load testing.

The light is now literally visible at the end of the long tunnel. Fine tuning of the B17 now begins. They have a lot to do, but progress should be fairly rapid at this point. Bigger batteries, bigger loads etc.

A note about my prior post. The 1100 watt load test that was stable at 65C? I thought it was a short duration test. Nope! 2-3 hours without heat sinks or fans! That's really good news. Granted, the module was out in the open, enclosed in the mainframe will be different. However, the heat sinks are substantial and the air flow design is such that heat is not going to be an issue.

I'll be stopping by Midnite more often now to check on the progress. I would have lots of pics but Robin kidnapped me and got me somewhat involved in following another of his projects....

The Midnite E-Bird! It will be powered by the Lithium Iron battery modules they are developing for use with the B17. Grab some popcorn, sit back and watch it all unfold here:
http://midniteftp.com/forum/index.php?topic=4218.0

Oh, I asked Midnite if they would/could put up an "Inverter" section here in the forums? Yes! Ryan is working on that now so keep an eye out for all things Midnite Inverter related to have their own area. B17, Rosie, Hawk's Bay etc. And the new Charge Controllers are getting their place too. With everything scattered around it will be nice to have all the new stuff in one or two sub forums.  :)

Ron Swanson

The time is very ripe for the new inverter product.

I suspect here in rural California, commercial power is [not] going to get any easier to get after this year's events.

I don't like running lots of wires between inverters, charge controllers, and the like.

I want something that we plug in and Just Works.

Sooner the better (within reason).

We have an experienced beta tester volunteer just waiting for this product.

Westbranch

Ron, did you leave a 'NOT' out of line 2?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Robin

Well, the B17 is as plug and play as it gets. Still plenty to do, but both the inverter and charge controller modules for the B17 are on the down side of the development hurdles now.
This has been a long haul.
Thanks,
Robin
Robin Gudgel

onanparts

boB and Mike during one of the load testing sessions Friday. Appears that bob stole/barrowed his girlfriend's hairdryer, what's he gonna do with it?! A hairdryer is a high tech tool for increasing the temps in specific areas during testing..... ;) And it doubles as a portable resistive load!

Robin

When you switch a hair drier to half speed, it presents a half wave load to the inverter. In the old days, that used to blow inverters up if they were not well designed. We had no problem with the half wave load.
Robin Gudgel

onanparts

Two of Robin and boB's Inverter and or Charge Controller Engineers, Baxter and Mario. Midnite has a top notch group of Engineers. I'm very close to actually remembering all their names and faces by now!  :)
A big shout out to all of them for the hard work on the Inverters and Charge controllers, plus many other goodies we can look forward to getting our hands on in the near future.

A big thank you to:
Robin, boB, Mario, Baxter, Justin, Matt, Peter, Scott, Eric, Mike, Andy, Doug, Jimmy, and Jim. Might have missed one or two?

I see Robin posted while I was typing, so how about a look at that half wave hairdryer load on the B17? I know, a waveform is a waveform. But this is an actual B17 waveform. Until recently they were very rare to non existant! The monster is alive!  8)