Author Topic: New Off Grid Inverter Charger  (Read 131034 times)

Robin

Re: New Off Grid Inverter Charger
« Reply #660 on: March 12, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
That’s funny. Today they are running more tests and will just let it run when in severe overload while watching FET temperature with a flir. Bob says since the inverter will probably be tripping the overcurrent protection on and off, the temperature may even go down? Hard to tell what is going to happen. I told them to wear goggles. Easy for me to say since I am down in Puerto Vallarta with my lovely wife at the moment.
Robin Gudgel

Highflyer

« Reply #661 on: March 12, 2021, 11:11:08 PM »
Congratulations, all around!
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Highflyer

« Reply #662 on: April 09, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »
Well, how did the test go?
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

Robin

« Reply #663 on: April 10, 2021, 10:59:25 AM »
We kept on reducing the sensitivity of the protection circuitry such that it essentially was out of circuit. We aren't using the corrcet DC fets on the B17 yet as we only have a few samples and they went into the Rosie. The real fets are tougher and lower resistance than the ones we are testing with, but if we can't get the ones we want, we will continue using the Brat fets. Running half of a B17 module at about 5000 continuous watts does eventually get the Dc fets hot. That is not unexpected as it is only a 1500 watt inverter section. We finally shut the unit off after the fets got up to 187C! They never broke. Boy are those good fets. We didn't have any air flow during this test so we could have run it longer with fan cooling. This condition will never happen in a real B17, but it is good to know just how tough these things are.
By the way, The Rosie is now up and running and putting out lots of power too.
Robin Gudgel