Classic + Lite

Started by PointyHairedBoss, September 06, 2012, 08:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PointyHairedBoss

Hello
I just installed a system with 2 charge controllers: a 150 Classic & 150 Lite.  I have about 1800W of PV panels & 12V batteries (needed 2 charge controllers because of the battery voltage).
I connected the charge controllers in master/slave configuration as per the directions & can see either controller's performance from the display on the Classic.  I have a few questions: 
1) The literature says to program the Lite.  In master/slave mode, wouldn't the slave unit's operation mirror the master automatically?
2)  The display will only show the system performance (PV volts & amps, battery volts & amps) for each controller individually. Is it possible to have the display of the Classic show the system totals - as if both controllers were operating as a single, large unit?
3) How do I equalize the batteries? If I set the Classic to equalize, will the Lite follow along automatically?

boB

Quote from: PointyHairedBoss on September 06, 2012, 08:55:58 PM
Hello
I just installed a system with 2 charge controllers: a 150 Classic & 150 Lite.  I have about 1800W of PV panels & 12V batteries (needed 2 charge controllers because of the battery voltage).
I connected the charge controllers in master/slave configuration as per the directions & can see either controller's performance from the display on the Classic.  I have a few questions: 
1) The literature says to program the Lite.  In master/slave mode, wouldn't the slave unit's operation mirror the master automatically?
2)  The display will only show the system performance (PV volts & amps, battery volts & amps) for each controller individually. Is it possible to have the display of the Classic show the system totals - as if both controllers were operating as a single, large unit?
3) How do I equalize the batteries? If I set the Classic to equalize, will the Lite follow along automatically?

Hi !

On most of this, I can summarize by saying "It's coming"

1)   No mirroring quite yet.  As far as coordinating the charge stages like Absorb to Float,
that will be coming soon.   As far as mirroring things like the MPPT mode, one Classic might
be a wind controller and the other might be a solar controller etc, so complete mirroring
might not be possible.  We will do as  best as we can in a situation like that.

2)  Showing output current or power for both Classics connected will also be coming.
There is still some discussion on how that should be implemented exactly.
That might possibly be done by by just pressing the status button to get a combined
battery status instead of individual Classic status.

PV inputs are not connected together in parallel so individual status of those will
have to be the method for now... Until actual parallel operation is allowed in some
future version.  At first, only charge coordination will be master/slaved.  Same with EQ.

3)  at the moment, you will need to start EQ individually.  What you want will
be coming along with the master/slave coordination you want.

We are working on the master/slave coordination software now.

Sorry I don't have better news for the immediate future.  Maybe a month
away ??

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

PointyHairedBoss

Thanks.
Just to clarify a few points:
1) Since I have identical PV arrays connected to my 2 charge controllers, for now I assume I just mannually duplicate my classic settings in the lite.
2) Should I use 1 charge controller only to do an equalize? I could disconnect the lite's array during this.
3) Regarding a combined status, would it be possible to have a user setting in your tweaks menu to switch between individual & combined status?

PointyHairedBoss

I just realized that I started this topic in the wrong section. Since the Lite is a new product there may be others that have similar questions - it should probably be under Classic Charge Controller.  Moderator, please feel free to switch it.
Sorry

Halfcrazy

I created a Lite category thank you for pointing that out  ::)

I would EQ with both controllers myself. But if you only use the standard controller there is no need to unhook the Lite.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

>>>3) Regarding a combined status, would it be possible to have a user setting in your tweaks menu to switch between individual & combined status?

I would say this probably wants to be another status menu item.  It might only be available when the system knows that there is more
than one Classic installed though.

It could be a tweaks menu item, but I don't think the user wants to go back and forth to that menu when they want to see
an individual Classic.  HOWEVER !   Maybe you do bring up a good point that the main status screen should be able to
show some user selectable items by default.  Combined Classic output might be one of those.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

PointyHairedBoss

Hey Bob
Its been a while since I've been here & after posting a new topic I checked my old posts & came across this one.  Have the software changes discussed below been made? If so, can I upgrade my charge controller software?

Westbranch

not bob nor boB...  PHB go here for the latest updates to the FW

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareIndex.php

you might be pleasantly surprised...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come