Kenwood TS-830S Hybrid Solid State + Hollow State

Started by onanparts, September 26, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onanparts

Since my station has all hollow state, Heathkit, and all solid state, Icom, Yaesu etc. radios it was long overdue for a "hybrid" station. Recently picked up and have been running a Kenwood TS-830S Hybrid transceiver that is all solid state but with hollow state finals, a 12BY7A driving a pair of 6146B's.

This was Kenwoods last and best Hybrid and they got it right on all fronts. Built like a tank, excellent receive, and a warm and clear transmit audio that only tubes can produce. So far I have the transceiver with the MC-50 desk mic and the SM-220 station monitor/scope. Matching Ext VFO, speaker and antenna tuner are next on the list to round out the complete station that was available in the late 70's to early 80's.

I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

onanparts

Close up of radio and scope.

onanparts

Under the covers. Chain "drive" lets get mechanical here!

onanparts

Close up of the final section and of course the original boxes that always get tossed out! These are actually the "inner" boxes as Kenwood double boxed these from the factory. I don't have the radios outer box but do have both monitor boxes. Rare to have one let alone both. :)

onanparts

Kenwood ad from 1981 showing entire station minus the scope/monitor and mic.

niel

Quote from: onanparts on September 26, 2012, 11:33:40 AM

what? no 922 linear? :(

onanparts

Quote from: niel on September 27, 2012, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: onanparts on September 26, 2012, 11:33:40 AM

what? no 922 linear? :(

IF one were to show up locally at a reasonable price I would most likely snag it. With shipping the 922's have been hitting 4 digits on epay.....  ::) Since my Heathkit SB-220 has been updated and the 3-500Z's are strong + I have a spare pair it will be the main shack amp for now.  ;D

onanparts

The TS-830S has been rock solid now for a week straight. Many contacts and no issues with the set. So it's time for a "recap"! :) Only 98 caps to replace.... ;D 6 down so far in the HV section as they were at the top of the list. The Kenwoods removable boards will make the job nearly painless.

onanparts

Less than 5 minutes to pull the board with the 4 "small" 350V caps. About 20 minutes later it was back online. I'll attack the rest of the LV caps later this winter.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

i don't envy you replacing the caps. how are you approaching that as i'd forget if i replaced one or not?

i agree with boB as it is a thing of beauty and very clean. kenwood makes some good stuff at more reasonable pricing and i've owned a 430 in the past (about 30yrs) that i had until about 4yrs or 5yrs ago. about the time i sold it (cheaply) it was having some problem in the finals area that was a known problem with continuity, but i wanted a newer model anyway and got a 2000x.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on October 03, 2012, 01:34:30 PM
i don't envy you replacing the caps. how are you approaching that as i'd forget if i replaced one or not?

i agree with boB as it is a thing of beauty and very clean. kenwood makes some good stuff at more reasonable pricing and i've owned a 430 in the past (about 30yrs) that i had until about 4yrs or 5yrs ago. about the time i sold it (cheaply) it was having some problem in the finals area that was a known problem with continuity, but i wanted a newer model anyway and got a 2000x.

The TS series was some of their best. Looks etc. Different size knobs so you can just go right to the one you want without even thinking about it. :) Not too busy, too many buttons etc.

These radios are now 30-35 years old and the caps are well beyond the original design life. Values changed due to heat, electrical stress or leakage. Replacing at least the HV caps is a no brainer since they work the hardest. My approach to replacing the rest will be section by section so if I make an error or have a new cap that's bad I won't be scratching my head trying to figure out where it is. At least not scratching really hard!

After a section is done I'll run it a few hours, days or weeks and then move on to the next one if all is good. It will be time consuming but well worth it in the end.

Reliability is what I'm shooting for. While we are on the subject a case in point is the scope/monitor. It had been sitting for many years unused before I got it. Powered it up and it worked fine for about an hour. Then 1 of the 5 HV caps started dying, had a weak/intermittent trace. Replaced all 5 HV caps and it's been on and working great for more than a week straight now.  :)

onanparts

Getting closer...added the ext speaker today and an ext VFO is on the way. Also a case of double vision? Nope! Two is always better than one... :) The 830 on the left has some issues, it's sick and will need some TLC but nothing major to bring it up to speed and have a nice spare.

onanparts

Almost there....

Added the Ext VFO today and it's rock solid. Also picked up the headphones that were optional with the TS series. New as in Kenwood is still supplying the identical phones today with no difference in build quality etc. 8 ohm 400-4000Hz.  :)

boB

One day I'd love to get some old tube radios...  Like I had when I was a novice around 1966

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me