Rolls/Surrette S-530 OR Crown 6CRP525

Started by clivusmul, September 27, 2012, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clivusmul

Can anyone report likes/dislikes and/or personal experience with either of these two similar batteries? 

For a new system, the prices are nearly identical... Which one would you buy again?

I do notice that the AH rating for the Crown at 5 hrs is 25% higher than the same AH rating for the Rolls S-530.  I suspect this is a spec'ing difference only... They both weigh the same, have similar volumes of plates/acid, etc..

The Crown AH curve seems to be more steeply sloped; i.e., comparatively more at shorter times and less at longer times; the Rolls/Surrette seems to be flatter and just the opposite - less at shorter times and more at longer times... only diff noticed...

Just wondering...
Bob J

niel

i don't have either battery and i can't say by my first hand experience, but general feedback from others say they've been having troubles with rolls/surrette. there are a few threads on the forum at northern arizona wind & sun discussing this.

Vic

Have never run Crown,  am running Rolls S530s for a supplemental bank,  and have been fine -- placed in service in 2005.  Also run 5000 series Surrettes as well.

Some neighbors have been running S530s/S460s for years with no problems.

There was that thread on the N AZ Forum,  but have said,  and do feel that this was quite prejudicial against Surrette,  as they do sell a lot of batteries.  There were seveal posters who had some problems with Surrette.  Turns out that one of those chaps -- Terry in Canada was on his third set of Surrettes.  Surrette had replaced two sets on Warranty.  Terry was STILL having problems with the third bank.  From the numbers,  it appears that he simply does not have enough PV to charge his two-string bank based on his useage.

I  have no concerns recommending Surrette to others,  or specing them in the future.

YMMV,  Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

clivusmul

Thanks to both Neil and Vic... The Surrette warranty appears on paper to be better...  They both look capable based on advertisements...  I think Surrette provides more technical information in their docs too... The Crown RE version ships with "premium water saving caps"... perhaps a tossup... Thanks again... clivusmul
Bob J